Women’s soccer downs conference foes

Women’s soccer (4-2, 4-0 in the NESCAC) went undefeated on the weekend, dropping Conn. College 1-0 on Sunday after topping Little Three rival Wesleyan 3-1 on Saturday.

Laura Wann ’14 helped the women push past Conn. College on Sunday with four saves. The women surged to a 1-0 victory. PHOTO COURTESY OF SPORTS INFORMATION.

The Ephs overcame the Camels in a battle at home on Sunday. Both teams had scoring opportunities, but neither team capitalized during the first half. Williams’ first promising look came when the women earned a free kick just outside the box. Caitlyn Clark ’13 served the ball on frame, but Camel keeper Amy Lowitt dove to her right to keep the game tied at 0-0. Conn. College responded with a shot off a corner kick. However, Eph netminder Laura Wann ’14 made the save on the post.

Conn. College came out on the offensive at the start of the second half. Five minutes in, Camel Grace Bilodeau found herself on a breakaway to goal, but fortunately for the Ephs, goaltender Hannah Van Wetter ’15 held strong. Van Wetter dove and fell on the ball to keep the game scoreless. Less than a minute later, Van Wetter deflected the ball with her foot to prevent another potential Camel goal.

The Ephs finally found the back of the net with just under nine minutes remaining in the game. Abby Morss ’16 touched a ball through to Alison Magruder ’15, who was running toward goal. Magruder dribbled into the left corner of the box and netted the ball far post past Lowitt at 81:36, sealing the 1-0 win for the Ephs.

The women outshot Conn. College 20 to 10. Wann and Van Wetter combined for seven saves, while Conn. College’s Lowitt recorded four stops.

The previous day, the women took on Wesleyan at Cole Field. The women took an early 2-0 lead before both sides scored one apiece late in the second half. The women were on the attack from the opening whistle, scoring a goal that was called back after an offsides penalty. Twenty minutes later, the Ephs found the back of the net again, this time taking a 1-0 lead over the Cardinals. Carla Nicasio ’14 controlled the ball at the top of the box where the Cardinal defense blocked her first two shots. Nicasio capitalized on her third look at goal, making a move around the defenders and finishing in the right side of the net. The goal was Nicasio’s first of the season.

The Ephs’ second goal came in the final three minutes of the first half when Lindsey Vandergrift ’16 played a ball from the right sideline into the box where Alexandra McInturf ’15 headed the ball over Cardinal keeper Jessica Tollman at 42:41, putting the Ephs up 2-0 heading into halftime.

Wesleyan started the second half strong but could not match Williams’ offensive pressure. The women scored their third and final goal with just six minutes remaining in the game when a Wesleyan defender failed to clear a ball in the box. Hannah Levin ’16 recovered the loose ball and slipped a shot past Tollman to give her team a 3-0 lead at 83:05.

However, Wesleyan did not give up. Three minutes later, Cardinal Kerry Doyle sent the ball into the box off a corner kick. A Williams defender could not properly clear the ball, allowing Beth Alexion to find the back of the net at 85:25, getting Wesleyan on the board. With no time left for a Cardinal recovery, the women walked away from the matchup with a 3-1 victory.

“This was an important weekend for us, and it was great to come away with two NESCAC wins, especially getting the result on Sunday when we had to battle pretty late into the game,” Clark said. “Things are starting to click.”

With last weekend’s wins, the women remain undefeated in NESCAC play. Williams looks to continue its winning streak on the road against Springfield on Wednesday at 7 p.m. The women will then take on Hamilton in a conference matchup at 4 p.m. on Tuesday.