Women’s golf extends win streak with narrow win at Holyoke Invite

Women’s golf continued its winning streak this season in clinching a difficult victory at the Mount Holyoke Invitational last weekend, narrowly beating out Merrimack and Wagner by four shots for the top spot. The women combined to card a 647 and claim first out of 15 teams at the event, while Merrimack and Wagner both turned in scores of 651 to tie for second. Middlebury finished seven strokes behind the Ephs, capturing third place.

The Orchards Golf Club, Mount Holyoke’s home course, is familiar ground for the Ephs. This familiarity and generally good course conditions helped the women turn in  impressive scores. The Ephs took an early lead in the competition, shooting a Day One team score of 315 to lead Wagner by nine strokes. Merrimack sat in third place, 10 strokes behind at 325. Middlebury commanded fourth place, 13 strokes behind Williams at 328. Amherst’s Elizabeth Monty led the pack on Day One, shooting an individual score of 73. However, Georgiana Salant ’14 was right on her heels, shooting a 74 to come in second on the day.

Other Ephs had equally impressive first days at the tournament, with Shelby Shote ’15 placing ninth with a score of 79 and Victoria Student ’13 tying for 10th with an 80. Paige Whidbee ’15 and Caroline Sawin ’15 struggled to reach par, but kept themselves in the game and posted solid scores of 82 and 86, respectively.

The second day of competition was not as easy for the Ephs. A heavy overnight rain and high winds led to deteriorating playing conditions on Sunday. However, the women were still able to post a Day Two score of 332, the sixth-best team score of the day, to maintain their first-place spot.

Once again, it was Amherst senior standout Monty that led the pack, posting a second day score of 75. Salant was the only Eph to break 80, shooting a 79 to finish out her two-day total of 153 and place her in third place overall. Student remained fairly consistent, posting a Day Two score of 83 that made her Sunday’s second-highest performing Eph.

The rest of the women contributed to the tight win, with Shote putting up a score of 85, Whidbee shooting an 88 and Sawin posting an 85. Sawin was the only Eph to improve her score on Day Two of the competition, shaving one stroke from her Day One tally of 86. Despite the difficult conditions, the women posted a two-day total of 647 to claim first overall.

“Our performance this weekend had its highs and lows,” Salant said. “We had some very solid play the first day, and it was great to come out after Day One with a nine-stroke lead. Day Two, however, was more of a struggle and it showed us that we can never be too comfortable.

“We are happy to have won but must always strive to play our best and improve everyday. We will take these lessons to practice and work hard to accomplish our goals for next weekend,” Salant continued.

The women will next compete at the Middlebury Invitational on Saturday and Sunday.