Offering a clarification

To the Editor:

Thank you for your well-written article on my arrival at the Career Center – both “news” in the literal sense and a public service informing students about valuable campus resources. I’m writing with a not-so-minor correction: The article states that I have “20 years of experience in higher education career counseling” and mentions my undergraduate and master’s degrees. But in fact, I also have a Ph.D. in English and American studies and spent only the first four years of my career “officially” in career counseling. Subsequently, I advised and taught students as a dean and faculty member within the Five College Consortium (which includes another purple college not to be named here).

Clarifying this “detail” is important not only for journalistic accuracy but for two reasons relevant to my new position: 1) My own life models significant career changes due to both micro- and macro-level factors of the kind that students may encounter in the future, and 2) the resulting hybrid academic, administrative and counseling background is precisely what equips me not only to develop a more robust liberal arts career exploration model, but also to work in an informed and collaborative way with faculty, deans and staff in other offices to improve our joint advising capacities.

What I enjoy most about current work is that it draws from my multifaceted history by allowing me to engage with the whole student: to a career counselor, a student’s academic, co-curricular and off-campus experiences are all relevant. My colleagues at the Career Center and I look forward to many of those integrative conversations – whether in our “Who Am I and Where Am I Going?” (self-assessment and values clarification) or “How Do I Get There?” (search skills and strategies) workshops or in individual counseling appointments. Thanks again for noticing this new face on campus!

-Karen Cardozo, Ph.D.

Director of the Career Discovery Program