Men’s golf tops invite

Men’s golf clinched a victory at home last weekend, cruising to a 15-stroke win over Middlebury at the Taconic Golf Club on Sunday. The Williams Invite featured players from 16 collegiate teams. The men carded a combined 584 to best Middlebury’s 599 strokes. Babson took third at the event with 603, finishing just one stroke under fourth-place Trinity.

On Saturday, the men were met with breezy but favorable conditions. The Ephs fielded two teams, an ‘A’ squad and a ‘B’ squad, in an attempt to capture first and second place at the event. The ‘A’ team featured very consistent performances, led by Matt McCarron ’14, who carded a 74. Classmate Dylan Dethier ’14 shot a 75, followed by Jake Abrahams ’14 and Ross Bowen ’14, who each fired 77s and ended the day four strokes off the lead. The ‘B’ squad was led by Mike Stone ’16, who finished the round with an impressive 75.

After Saturday’s round, the men’s ‘A’ squad sat atop the leader board with 292 strokes, followed by the ‘B’ squad in a second-place tie with Babson just six strokes off the ‘A’ team at 298.

On Day Two, the men continued their dominating performance. Eph standouts Dethier and McCarron each posted two-day totals of 149 to tie for first in the tournament. The finish was McCarron’s first collegiate victory. While the ‘B’ squad struggled to match its performance on Saturday, it managed to tie for fifth at the end of Sunday. The men were supported by several impressive individual performances from rookies, especially Max Elgart ’16 who notched a hole-in-one on the 14th hole on Saturday. Stone  posted a solid two-day total of 150, placing him in a tie for third overall.

“To bounce back from a tough final round last week was important for our confidence going into this weekend’s conference qualifier,” Abrahams said.

The men seek to continue their success this weekend at the NESCAC fall qualifier hosted by Amherst. The men will look to place among the top four in at the tournament to secure a position at the NESCAC Championship in the spring. The men tee off at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.