Field hockey splits home weekend

Last weekend ended on a high note for field hockey (3-2, 2-2 in the NESCAC) as the team rebounded from its 3-0 loss against Wesleyan on Saturday to down Conn. College 3-0 on Sunday.

Co-captain Sarah Eades ’13 bolstered the women’s defense despite the women’s 3-0 loss to Wesleyan on Saturday. Emily Irving / Contributing Photographer

The women came out hard against Conn. College on Sunday, grabbing the early lead. Abigale Belcrest ’15 was the first to put the Ephs on the scoreboard, with a goal at 8:25. Co-captain Casey Greene ’13 extended Williams’ lead to 2-0 on a penalty stroke at 24:25. Strong defensive play by co-captain Sarah Eades ’13 and solid goaltending from Ariana Spiliotes ’14 kept Conn. College scoreless for the rest of the game. Emma Grauberger ’16 scored the third and final goal for the Ephs late in the second half to solidify a 3-0 win for Williams at 65:28.

“[On Sunday] we cleaned up our skills and had beautiful passes and great communication,” Head Coach Alix Barrale ’93 said. “We had the determination and focus we needed on Saturday, and that made the difference.”

On Saturday, Wesleyan overpowered Williams despite an impressive showing from Spiliotes, who recorded a total of nine saves. Wesleyan’s offense was unstoppable on Saturday: The Cardinals scored twice in the first half, notching a goal at 20:22 and another less than eight minutes later to take a 2-0 lead. Wesleyan kept Williams off the board for the rest of the game. The Cardinals padded their lead with a third goal at the 65:33-minute mark to take a final 3-0 lead.

Williams posted eight shots to Wesleyan’s 12, and the women earned only four penalty corners to the Cardinals’ six. The Cardinals claimed the conference win 3-0.

“We came out a little flat on Saturday, and Wesleyan ended up capitalizing on the early opportunities we gave them,” Barrale said. “The situation of being down was frustrating, and it ended up causing us to make mental errors.”

Williams will host non-conference rival Springfield on Wednesday at 6 p.m. The women will also travel to Skidmore for a 4 p.m. matchup on Saturday.