Wrestling welcomes new interim head coach

On the heels of a successful debut last year as an assistant coach for wrestling, Scott Honecker has been named interim head coach of wrestling for the 2012-13 season. Honecker was tapped to fill the position while Head Coach Rich Hasenfus is on leave to work on his Master’s degree and serve on the National Wrestling Coaches Association’s board of directors.

Honecker brings a wealth of experience with him. After a wrestling career at Ithaca, Honecker became the assistant coach for J.H. Rose High School in 2005 and began working toward his degree in elementary education at East Carolina in Greenville, N.C. A year later, Honecker was promoted to head wrestling coach at J.H. Rose High School, and his program took off. Over the course of five seasons, Honecker’s teams won over 100 dual meets. His unbelievable success with J.H. Rose coincided with tremendous achievement with the Greenville Wrestling Club, which Honecker founded in 2007.

Honecker’s club thrived, becoming one of the largest clubs in the Southeast to compete at the national level while winning five consecutive state championships in North Carolina.

Honecker’s accomplishments inevitably caught the attention of USA Wrestling. In 2009, Honecker was named North Carolina State Coach of the Year before being recognized as the USA Wrestling Southeast Junior Developmental Coach of the Year in 2010.

Upon his arrival at the College in the fall of 2011, Honecker became heavily involved in the recruiting process and concentrated on technical instruction during practices as well as at competitions. Now that he is serving in the interim head coach position, Honecker is confident that the program’s recruiting efforts from last year will pay off. “Our returning athletes, complemented by an outstanding freshman class, have this team poised for an extremely successful season,” Honecker said.

As the program is jumping into its preseason preparations, Honecker notes that wrestling at the College is “undergoing a complete overhaul.” In particular, Honecker is intent on “reestablishing a winning attitude amongst our athletes.”

Honecker will be joined by former standouts Carl Breitenstein ’10 and Nikola Mirkovic ’12, who will serve as assistant coaches for the season. Wrestling will begin practices with Honecker starting Nov. 1.