Women’s tennis comes out on top at Lindsay Morehouse

Women’s tennis’ fall season got off to a promising start last weekend at the Lindsay Morehouse Invitational. Williams faced off against Middlebury, Bowdoin, Vassar and Skidmore at home in the unscored tournament.

The annual event is intended to provide match experience early in the season to prepare players for more competitive tournaments later on in the season. It is dedicated to the memory of Lindsay Morehouse ’00, a former captain of women’s tennis who perished during the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

The Morehouse Invitational marked the first time the Ephs took the court since capturing their NCAA-record fifth consecutive national championship last spring. Although the tournament does not count toward the team’s season record, the women were all business on the courts, compiling an impressive set record of 27-7 in singles matches and 14-2 in doubles. Led by co-captains Nancy Worley ’13 and Veranika Li ’13, who each posted 3-1 records in their respective singles matches, the entire team displayed poise and confidence on the courts en route to a dominating performance. Maria Pylypiv ’15 and Monica Pastor ’15 were both undefeated in singles play, putting up 3-0 records. The Ephs were especially successful in doubles play, with the pairing of Kara Shoemaker ’14 and Rebecca Curran ’15 finishing undefeated at 3-0. Middlebury offered the stiffest competition: Panther Dorrie Paradies topped Kate Pollan ’16 by margins of  6-4 and 6-2, while Lok Sze Leung conquered Curran 6-1, 6-1. Both Panthers compiled perfect 4-0 records at the Invitational.

“I’m really impressed by the level of play and fitness that our returning players have brought so far this season,”  Head Coach Alison Swain ’01 said.

The women will hit the courts again on Sunday at Wellesley. Matches will begin at 2 p.m.