Women’s soccer drops Trinity in 2-1 come-from-behind victory

Women’s soccer (2-2, 2-0 in the NESCAC) surged back late in last Saturday’s game to drop NESCAC foe Trinity 2-1. The team earned the win after splitting the previous weekend’s home stand, falling 2-1 to Wheaton on Sept. 9 and notching a 2-0 win over league opponent Bates on Sept. 8. The women opened their season on Sept. 5, recording a 2-0 loss to Oneonta State on the road.

The women overcame Trinity in the final eight minutes of Saturday’s match after netting two goals in four minutes, one each from Hayley Cook ’14 and Chloe Kuh ’13. The women looked aggressive from the opening whistle, earning their first solid look at the net eight minutes into the game when Samantha Vilaboa ’13 fired a shot that soared just wide of the goal.

The Bantams quickly responded to the Ephs’ strong opening attacks. Trinity tallied a goal in the 18th minute when Elisa Dolan assisted Abbey Lake, who slipped the ball past Eph netminder Laura Wann ’13, giving the Bantams an early 1-0 lead.

The women battled for an equalizer until their diligence paid off in the match’s 83rd minute. Co-captain Caitlyn Clark ’13 played a ball to Cook, who netted her first goal of the season; however, the stalemate didn’t last long. Four minutes later, Kuh sealed the win for the Ephs, tallying her first goal of the season and of her collegiate career to put the Ephs on top 2-1.

“Trinity is a feisty and organized team, and it took us most of the game to sort that out. It was great to see the team problem solve, get better throughout the game and compete more ferociously as the game went on,” Head Coach Michelyne Pinard said.

On Sept. 9, the women dropped their second game of the season against  Wheaton in a 2-1 heartbreaker at home.

The Lyons stole the lead early, recording two first-half goals. The first goal came during the opening frame when the ball took an unfortunate bounce inside the box. Lyon Lauren Corigliano met the ball to finish on an open goal, putting the her team on top 1-0.

Wheaton increased its lead to two after a free kick from 25 yards out ricocheted off the crossbar to Laila Razzaghi, who sent the ball into the back of the net.

In the second half, the Ephs’ hard work on offense finally paid off in the 88th minute. Hana Tomozawa ’15 played a ball through to Louisa Costa ’15 who was waiting at the top right corner of the box. Costa rocketed the ball into the upper left corner of the net, narrowing the Lyons’ lead to 2-1. Despite a strong team effort, the Ephs could not recover from the 2-1 deficit.

The previous day, the women shut out Bates 2-0 in their first NESCAC matchup of the season with goals from rookie Abby Morse ’16 and Alison Magruder ’15.

The loss to Bates came after the women opened the season on Sept. 5 with a 2-0 loss to Oneonta State.

The women kick off this weekend’s doubleheader homestand against Little Three rival Wesleyan on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. Williams then takes on Conn. College on Sunday at 1:30 p.m.