Women’s golf aces opener

Women’s golf won its season opener at the two-day NYU Invitational last weekend, posting back-to-back scores of 312 to edge out second-place Middlebury by 16 strokes and third-place Amherst by 17.

The women led after Day One, combining for 312 shots. Amherst finished second on Day One with a 313, but quickly fell off the lead with a 328 on Day Two of the Invitational to take third.

Individually, the Ephs earned three of the top five overall spots. Shelby Shote ’15 rode a first-day lead to arrowly edge Amherst’s Liz Monty for the top individual spot with a total score of 151 to Monty’s 152. Shote shot a 74 on Day One and a 77 on Day Two, placing her just seven over par. The victory is Shote’s first individual collegiate title.

Georgiana Salant ’14 finished in fifth with a total score of 156 (80-76). Paige Whidbee ’15 turned in a two-day score of 155 (78-77). Victoria Student ’13 tied for 14th with a two-day total of 162 (80-82), and Caroline Sawin ’15 claimed 28th with a 169 (85-84).

“Knowing that we can go out and win a tournament at a course we’ve never played before was  a confidence booster,” Salant said.

The Ephs look to continue their success this weekend at the Mount Holyoke Invitational in South Hadley, Mass.