Men’s tennis secures 7-2 win in opener against rival Wesleyan

Men’s tennis (1-0) got its fall season rolling last Saturday with a 7-2 victory over Little Three rival Wesleyan. The Ephs dispatched their rivals in dominating fashion, dropping only one singles match and one doubles match to the Cardinals. The success of the season opener bodes well for the men, who will face stiff competition at the ITA regional tournament in two weeks.

The Ephs won five of their six singles matches: co-captain Trey Meyer ’13, Felix Sun ’13, Matt Micheli ’14, Adam Reich ’14 and Dylan Page ’13 all topped their Cardinal counterparts. Meyer dispatched his opponent in straight sets 6-3, 6-0 in the No. 1 position, while Sun showed consistency in his match, overpowering the competition 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 2 slot.

In doubles, the men captured two of the three contests. The duo of Meyer and Micheli defeated its Wesleyan counterpart 8-4 at No. 1; their performance was followed by an 8-3 victory at No. 3 by Page and co-captain Charlie Hammond ’13. The only two losses on the day came at the No. 3 singles position, as Zach Weiss ’13 fell in two sets and at the No. 2 doubles position where Sun and Weiss were defeated 8-3 by the Cardinals’ duo of Samuel Rudovsky and Jeff Legunn.

Meyer was excited about the win but still sees room for improvement over the next few weeks. “Upperclassmen stepped up to get the job done,” he said. “We’ll look to continue to improve our energy in doubles. Overall, [it was a] great match to start off the season.”

With Saturday’s victory, the men’s win streak over Wesleyan was extended to 40.  Wesleyan’s last win against Williams was in 1972 when the Cardinals topped the Ephs 5-2.

Men’s tennis will next host the three-day ITA New England Regionals on the Torrence M. Hunt Tournament Courts from Sept. 28-30.

The Ephs hope “to build off of [Saturday’s] win and compete well at ITAs,” Hammond said.