Men’s golf takes 4th at invite

Men’s golf competed at the Duke Nelson Invitational last weekend, finishing a disappointing fourth place after leading the field by eight strokes at the conclusion of Day One. Host Middlebury took third in the tournament, behind Skidmore in second and RPI in first. The inconsistent performances at the Duke Nelson followed an impressive win at Bowdoin on Sept. 9 for the Ephs, where the men notched a commanding 14-shot victory.

The Ephs dominated Day One of the invitational and posted several noteworthy scores. Ross Bowen ’14 led the team to an exceptional score of 298 with his even-par 71 at Ralph Myhre golf course. Jake Goldenring ’15 followed closely behind, posting a 72 on Day One. Standout Dylan Dethier ’14 finished with a 74 to help the Ephs cruise to an eight-shot lead at the end of the first day.

Conditions on Day Two were less than optimal. Facing blustery and unfavorable weather, the men couldn’t hold on to their lead, carding an unsatisfactory 321. That placed them fourth behind RPI, Skidmore and Middlebury. Bowen reasoned that the team “began thinking too much about scores instead of just playing our own game.” He remained optimistic about the rest of the fall season: “Hopefully we can learn and grow from this and put together two good rounds at our home tournament this weekend and at fall NESCACs the following weekend,” Bowen said.

The performance at the Duke Nelson Invitational was disappointing after the team’s 14-shot victory at Bowdoin on Sept. 8-9. Bowen won the individual tournament, notching his second collegiate victory. Jake Abrahams ’14 finished closely behind in second place with dual 75s.

The Ephs look forward to rebounding this weekend as hosts of the Williams Invitational at Taconic Golf Course. Play will start Saturday at 1:30 p.m.