CAP grants theatre dept.’s Omar Sangare tenure as of July 1

In June, former Assistant Professor of Theatre Omar Sangare was voted to the position of associate professor with tenure, effective July 1. The Board of Trustees voted for this promotion after recommendation by the Committee on Appointments and Promotions (CAP). The promotion was announced on June 27 by the Office of Communications.

This was the Department of Theatre’s “first successful tenure process in 20 years,” according to Sangare. Generally, faculty who qualify are awarded tenure in January of each year.

According to Sangare, his tenure was delayed at that time because the CAP did not receive sufficient documentation from the theater department, a required components of the tenure process.

Sangare has been at the College since 2007, when he became the founder and curator of Dialogue ONE, an international theatre festival for solo performances, at Williamstheatre.

He holds many film, radio, television and theatrical credits, and his one-man drama True Theatre Critic won him Best in Acting at the New York International Fringe Festival. After playing the title role in Othello at the Arena Players Repertory Theatre, Barbara Delatiner of The New York Times said he was “born to play Othello.”  For Williamstheatre, he has directed A Streetcar Named Desire in March 2011 and Inspired by Milosz in December 2011.

Sangare was born and raised in Poland, where he received his M.F.A. and Ph.D. at the Theatre Academy in Warsaw. Before coming to teach at the College, he taught at UCLA, UCSB, UCSC, Westmont and the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art.

Sangare said he is “grateful to each member of the Committee on Appointments and Promotions for their positive decision,” calling the tenure process a “rewarding journey” despite the “significant stress.”

This semester, Sangare is teaching two theatre courses, “Acting I” and “Acting III,” as well as three independent studies.

He says he is “looking forward to meeting and working with many students,” emphasizing that this includes “those who couldn’t take [his] courses in the past due to overenrollment.”