Six seniors awarded College-funded fellowships

This past week, six seniors were awarded fellowships to fund their post-graduate plans. The Hubbard Hutchinson Fellowship is a cash award of $18,000 given in the categories of dance, theater, music, writing and studio art.

Last Wednesday, five awardees were announced: Kyle Martin ’12, Laone Thekiso ’12, Carlos Diaz-Sullivan ’12, Noah Schechter ’12 and Inez Tan ’12. The Jeffery Owen Jones ’66 Fellowship in Journalism was also awarded this week; the funding went to Adam Century ’12. The Fellowship is a $10,000 cash reward to go toward helping a graduating senior begin a career in journalism.

While many of the seniors awarded the Hubbard Hutchinson Fellowship do not have exact plans for the future, they have been presented with the opportunity to follow their passion in art. Martin, an art major, plans on using the fellowship money to pursue a dance career in New York by enrolling in an intensive program such as the Broadway Dance Center. “While in New York, I hope to meet many artists and performers and immerse myself in a community of young art makers,” Martin said. “I hope that my training and networking in New York will catapult to perform hip-hop either commercially – [in] television, music videos, commercials, movies – or actual tours with singers.” Martin had many creative outlets at the College, including singing with the a cappella group Good Question and acting in Cap & Bells productions.

Thekiso, who will graduate as a music major, has a few ideas in mind for his fellowship money including putting the money toward graduate or masters degree expenses, playing in summer music festivals or his “personal favorite,” buying a marimba. “What the fellowship really means to me is the real possibility of doing all of these things,” Thekiso said.

As an art major, Diaz-Sullivan works in many different artistic mediums but plans on focusing primarily on video after graduation. While he plans to eventually apply to programs, he said that his primary focus is simply to make art.

Schechter, a double theater and political science major, has been involved in theater at the College in nearly every way possible, including serving as the artistic director of Cap & Bells for its 2011-12 season and writing a senior thesis, titled M@cB#!H, in which he used clowning to perform the Shakespearean tragedy. “I’m planning to use my Hutchinson Fellowship to collaborate with the Brooklyn-based company called the Theater of the Emerging American Moment on some of their recently commissioned plays,” he said. “I’ll also be working as the assistant director on a new opera at Ars Nova premiering in October 2012.”

Tan, an English major, plans to move to New York and apply to graduate school programs for the fall of 2013. “When I came here, I was certain I was going to major in [economics] and go straight to law school, but instead I was amazingly fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to discover that creative writing was what I really loved and now have even more encouragement to pursue,” Tan said. Tan is currently the editor-in-chief of The Telos and wrote a creative writing thesis of short stories.

Century plans on returning to China to work in the Beijing bureau of the New York Times after completing his year-long Fulbright research fellowship, during which he will spend time in southern China.

“I couldn’t be more excited to be entering the field of journalism right now, and I eagerly look forward to the challenge and excitement of covering issues in China and beyond,” Century said. “The relationship between China and the United States will define the next chapter of global affairs, and I hope to use journalism to bolster understanding between the two countries. In some respects, the relationship is becoming increasingly adversarial, and I don’t think that this has to be the case. I strongly believe that the two countries can benefit from each other and coexist peacefully and prosperously,” he said.