Prof. Sara Dubow receives tenure upon approval of trustees

The Board of Trustees approved the Committee on Appointments and Promotions’ recommendation to award tenure to Assistant Professor of History Sara Dubow ’91 during its April 12-14 meeting. The promotion will take effect on July 1.

Peter Murphy, dean of the faculty and professor of English, said that on occasion, tenure decisions are made slightly off-cycle. “A combination of logistical factors delayed Professor Dubow’s process for a couple of months, but the process itself, at the department level and at the Committee on Appointments and Promotions level, was exactly the same as for all other candidates for tenure,” he said.

Dubow specializes in 20th-century U.S. history, with particular interests in the 1970s and 1980s, women’s and gender history, legal history and the history of reproductive politics. Her book, Ourselves Unborn: A History of the Fetus in Modern America, won the 2011 Bancroft Prize from Columbia.

Dubow arrived at the College in 2007. She has taught classes in both the department of history and the department of women’s, gender and sexuality studies. During the 2011-12 academic year, Dubow served on the Faculty Steering Committee as well as the Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Committee.

“I’ve had a wonderful experience at Williams for these past five years and have particularly appreciated the opportunity to teach courses that intersect with my research interests and that have generated new ones,” Dubow said.

Dubow will be on leave during the 2012-13 academic year. She will be working on two new projects, one on the history of conscience clauses and the other on gender and the 14th Amendment.