Women’s golf notches victory at home

Taconic Golf Club proved a tough test for women’s golf as the cool, windy conditions allowed only a handful of scores in the 70s on Saturday.

Becky Miller ’13 posted a 181 in two days at Taconic en route to a team win at last weekend’s Williams Spring Invitational.
Becky Miller ’13 posted a 181 in two days at Taconic en route to a team win at last weekend’s Williams Spring Invitational. - Photo Courtesy of Sports Information

After Day One of play, Middlebury led the way at 329, just ahead of Williams at 331. The Ephs ultimately claimed victory at 652, with the Panthers finishing at 662 and the Jeffs in third at 679. Vassar and Williams’ ‘B’ squad finished in fourth and fifth with scores of 687 and 706, respectively.

The program showed its depth as Williams fielded both an ‘A’ and a ‘B’ team at the event. Leading the way for the ‘A’ team were Shelby Shote ’15 and Georgiana Salant ’14. Shote shot the best round of her career in carding a solid three over on the front and an impressive one over on the back nine. She owned a four-shot lead after Day One. Salant also had an outstanding round considering the weather conditions, shooting a consistent three over on the front and four over on the back. Victoria Student ’13 struggled but dug deep to pull out a solid 83 to help her team out on a difficult day. Emily Wickstrom ’14 and Becky Miller ’13 had a difficult time finding their shots at Taconic, both carding 86s to wrap up the ‘A’ team’s performance.

The ‘B’ team was led by the strong performance of Paige Whidbee ’15. She shot five over on the front nine but made a run on the back to shoot just eight over on the day. This was Whidbee’s low round of her Williams career as well. Her teammates had a bit more trouble out there; Grace Gordon ’12 and Caroline Sawin ’15 came in with twin 89s. Maggie Mitts ’15 shot 45-45 to turn in a 90 and Izzy Lee ’12 rounded out the scores at 98.

The Panthers put up a fight on Day Two of the Williams Spring Invitational, but still fell short of topping the Ephs.

Taconic once again proved a tough test for the field. Not only was it cold and windy, but the pins were tucked away in difficult spots on many holes. Under such conditions, only two players in the field shot in the 70s – Wickstrom and Middlebury’s Michelle Peng. Middlebury led the teams on the day at 329, two ahead of Williams’ 331. Williams claimed the title with a total of 652, followed by Middlebury at 662 and Amherst at 679. Vassar and Williams’ ‘B’ team rounded out the top five at 687 and 706.

Wickstrom led the Williams ‘A’ team with a 77, the best result of the day and one which Peng also achieved. Wickstrom shot five over on the front nine but rallied to shoot just one over on her last nine. Following Wickstrom was Salant, who struggled with her putting but still posted a solid 83. Salant’s consistent play catapulted her to second place individually, just two strokes behind the individual medalist Flora Weeks of Middlebury, who shot 81 on the day for a 159 total. Miller and Student had rocky front nines, shooting nine over and 12 over, respectively. However, both  performed well on the back nine, making birdies on the last hole to post 85 and 86. Day One leader Shote had a rough second day, turning in an 89, but her score was good enough to place her in the top three for the tournament.

The Williams ‘B’ team had a tough second day as well. Whidbee, who had a fantastic first-round 79, carded an 85 on Day Two. She was followed by Gordon, who finished her collegiate career with a 90, a result which included a birdie. Sawin and Maggie Mitts ’15 shot twin 92s while Lee posted a 107 in the final tournament of her Williams career. Despite the constant flurries of wind, Gordon and Lee were unfazed and finished their Williams careers by leading the ‘B’ team to a solid fifth-place finish.

“The best part of the weekend was having all nine of my teammates competing on the course. We had such great support from our alumni and it made me proud to be a part of this team,” said Wickstrom of last weekend’s Invitational.

With its success this past weekend the team earned an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament in Angola, Indiana, which is slated to begin on May 9.