Students win awards to fund post-grad plans

The College has recently released the recipients of a number of College and externally-funded scholarships and fellowships. Jenny Tang ’13 earned the Beinecke Scholarship, Olivia Delia ’12 was accepted to the Teaching Assistant Program in France and Brent Eng ’12 was awarded the Class of 1945 Florence Chandler Fellowship. 

Emma Pelegri-Oday ’12 won the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Graduate Scholarship but declined it in favor of a Fulbright Research Scholarship. Tang received the Beinecke Scholarship, which is awarded as part of a competitive program that promises scholars $4000 prior to entering graduate school and $30,000 while attending graduate school. This year, the foundation granted 20 juniors the scholarship.

Tang is an art history major at the College. She also writes art reviews for the Record, serves on the Williams College Museum of Art’s Student Advisory Committee and acts as a student trustee on the Gaudino Board.

Tang has done many independent research projects as well, including “Holocaust Memorials and Contemporary Jewish Identity” and “The District Six Museum in Landscapes of South African Memory.” Tang said she hopes to become part of academia after graduation, continuing her research as well as teaching.

“Winning the Beinecke has been surreal but also immensely gratifying,” Tang said. “Pursuing graduate studies is very important to me, and it’s amazing to know that I have support that will help me throughout the way. Mostly, I feel grateful – grateful for the professors that have mentored me at Williams and grateful that the selection committee saw something in my work that deserves recognition,” she continued.

Delia was been accepted to the Teaching Assistant Program in France, which is sponsored by the French Ministry of Education. As part of the program, she will be teaching French students English in Nantes.

Delia is majoring in both biology and comparative literature with a focus in Spanish and French. She has been part of the cross country and track teams since her first year on campus. She also serves as the co-president of the Biology Majors Advisory Committee and was employed as a biology teaching assistant and Math Science Research Center tutor.

“I’m so stoked,” Delia said.  “I’m excited to be living and working in a French community. The idea of working with young people is so exciting.” In addition to teaching, Delia hopes to partake in traditional French activities as well. She said, “If I’m anywhere near a dairy farm, I also have big cheese-making plans.”

Eng was awarded the Class of 1945 Florence Chandler Fellowship, which is a grant worth $25,000. This grant, modeled after the national Watson Fellowship, is awarded to a College nominee for the Watson Fellowship. The award allows for the execution of a one-year independent personal growth-centered project conducted abroad. It has been awarded annually to one senior since 2003 to fund one year of post-graduate learning.

Eng, who is majoring in English and Arabic, plans to use the grant to travel to Sri Lanka, Thailand and Japan in order to study how the Western image of meditation has affected traditional Buddhist practices.

Eng is a member of the ultimate Frisbee team at the College and has also become involved with meditation at the College. “I’m most excited about the chance to explore and see the world on its own terms, with the ability to move freely through it,” Eng said.