Miles to coordinate student-athlete well-being

On April 25, Athletic Director Lisa Melendy announced that Carolyn Miles will be the coordinator of student-athlete well-being and physical education at the College effective at the start of the 2012-13 academic year. Melendy’s former post as associate athletic director has remained vacant since her appointment to athletic director. According to Melendy, the position is being reconstructed to reflect Miles’ role at the College.

“As associate athletic director, I spent a great deal of time meeting about issues of student well-being, dealing with issues of mental health, alcohol and substance abuse, sexual assault, nutrition and eating disorders, leadership, diversity and inclusion to name a few,” Melendy said.

Miles’ duties will include the formation of educational programs regarding student-athlete well-being, the formulation and teaching of physical education courses and staff development.

“We met some great candidates and we were really impressed with Carolyn,” Vice President for Campus Life Steve Klass said. “I think having her as a hub for a tremendous amount of activity around wellness conceived broadly will be very exciting.”

“I have always loved Williams’ approach to education and athletics,” Miles said. “I’m thrilled to be joining such a wonderful institution.”

Given the novelty of this position, many of the details about Miles’ workload have yet to be determined. Broadly, the goals are to “build a program to support the well-being of our student athletes … revamp the physical education program in terms of our offerings [and] find new ways for our instructors to continue to develop,” according to Melendy.

Miles comes to this position by way of Sarah Lawrence, where she has served as the acting athletic director since 2010. At Sarah Lawrence, Miles developed and directed a program called “First-Year Student Experience,” which focused on wellness and nutrition. In 1998, Miles earned a bachelor of science degree in kinesiology/physical education-pedagogy from the University of New Hampshire. In 2008, Miles received a master of science in applied physiology and nutrition from Columbia.