Men’s tennis trounces Bates and Bowdoin

On Sunday, No. 3 men’s tennis (14-1) finished its regular season with a commanding 6-3 win over conference competitor Bates. The win followed a more closely-contested 5-4 victory over Bowdoin on Saturday. Both matches were played away.

The Ephs took a 2-1 lead after doubles play, with 8-5 victories from the No. 2 team of Felix Sun ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14 and the No. 3 team of co-captains Will Petrie ’12 and Kevin Shallcross ’12. The Bobcats took the No. 1 position by an equal score of 8-5, defeating the duo of Trey Meyer ’13 and Bryan Chow ’13.

Heading into singles play, straight-set wins in four of the six singles matches carried the Ephs to victory. Meyer led the Ephs with a 6-4, 6-2 victory at No. 1 singles, along with Zach Weiss ’13 at No. 4 with a 6-4, 6-2 win and Chow at No. 5 with a 6-1, 6-1 victory. Petrie rounded out the Ephs’ wins at No. 6, taking down his opponent 6-4, 6-4. The Bobcats took the Nos. 2 and 3 singles positions.

Sunday’s win followed Saturday’s match against Bowdoin, in which the men won by a margin of 5-4. The Ephs claimed an early lead, going up 2-1 after doubles play. This time, the wins came from the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles teams.

The Ephs relied on strong performances at the Nos. 2, 3 and 6 positions to clinch the match. Sun won 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 2 position, Micheli 7-5, 6-2 at the No. 3 position and Petrie took the No. 6 slot, 6-0, 6-1. Chow was taken down 11-9 in a superbreaker for the third set in a closely-contested match at No. 5 singles.

Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 was happy with the men’s performance and is looking forward to the championship season, which begins on Saturday. “I thought this weekend was a great effort,” he said, “but we definitely have some things to sharpen, so we’ll spend this week focusing on a few details.”

Last weekend marked the close of the Ephs’ regular season, with postseason play beginning on Saturday. The men earned a bye in the first round of the NESCAC Championship and have earned hosting rights for the tournament, which begins on Saturday.

“We finished a fantastic regular season by playing well enough to tough out some wins against Bowdoin and Bates, but we need to sharpen both our singles and doubles before the NESCAC tournament next weekend,” Petrie said.

The men will go up against the winner of the Trinity-Bowdoin match-up on Friday, while second-seeded Amherst will play the winner of the Bates-Middlebury match. Play will start at 1 p.m., and the winners of the semifinal games will go head-to-head in the championship on Sunday at 1 p.m.