Men’s golf swings to second at Taconic

For the second weekend in a row, men’s golf teed up at the Taconic Golf Club. On Saturday and Sunday, the men faced conference foes Middlebury, Trinity and Hamilton for the NESCAC Championship. With an automatic bid to the NCAA Championship on the line, the men battled hard but fell to Middlebury in a close contest. The Ephs finished in second place, eight shots behind the Panthers, who won their second straight conference crown with a two-day total of 626. Ross Bowen ’14 shot a 72 on Saturday to help him finish the championship tied for second place individually with 156 strokes.

With temperatures in the low 50s and winds gusting between 10 to 20 miles per hour on Saturday, conditions were not ideal for scoring. Bowen was unaffected by the weather as he shot a championship-low 72 and took an impressive three-shot lead into Sunday. Also in the hunt was Cody Semmelrock ’14, who contributed with a smooth 77. Rounding out the scores for Williams were Dylan Dethier ’14 and Jake Abrahams ’14, who carded an 80 and 81, respectively. At the end of play on Saturday, Middlebury held a narrow one-shot lead over Williams with a team total of 309.

Conditions only became tougher on Sunday, which showed in Sunday’s inflated scores. “I feel mostly disappointed that the weather conditions played so much of a factor in the ability of all these fine players to compete,” Head Coach Rick Pohle said. Even still, Dethier and Jake Goldenring ’15 each managed to shoot an 80, while Semmelrock and Abrahams posted an 81 and 83, respectively. Without any scores in the 70s range, the Ephs struggled to keep up with the Panthers and finished the day eight shots behind.

“Naturally, we are a bit disappointed with our final position at the recently-concluded NESCAC Championship, but my hat is off to Middlebury College for their victory, and we wish them the best of luck in representing the NESCAC at the NCAAs in Florida later in May,” Pohle said.

Pohle thought the men notched an impressive performance given their relative inexperience and youth. “I feel we passed a huge test since none of these players have ever played in a NESCAC final, and we should be proud of the effort,” he said.

This was the last tournament of the season for the Ephs, who will graduate two seniors, Siwol Chang ’12 and co-captain Chris Valle ’12. Their contribution and leadership will be missed on this talented and developing team.