14 students granted Fulbright scholarships

This year, the College saw an unprecedented number of Fulbright fellowship winners. According to Fellowship Coordinator Lynn Chick, 14 Fulbright scholarships have been awarded to students at the College and scholarships will continue to be announced throughout May and June.

The Fulbright program, established in 1946, aims to foster mutual understanding between the United States and other countries through a cultural and intellectual exchange. Adam Century ’12, Evelyn Denham ’12,  Lindsay Olsen ’12, Michael Pizzi ’12, Emma Pelegri-O’Day ’12 and Clint Robins ’12 won Fulbright Research Scholarships, which give recipients the opportunity to work on an independent research project in a foreign country. Charlotte Kiechel ’12, Thomas Kuczmarski ’12, Alex Long ’12, John Maher ’12,  Eddie Nadel ’12, Andrew Nguyen ’12, Amanda Reid ’12 and Margot Robinson ’12 and were awarded Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships, which send awardees to various countries to teach English. Thus far, six students have accepted their respective Fulbright grants.

Research scholarships

Pizzi, an Arabic studies and history double major from Morristown, N.J., received a research grant to study refugee advocacy in Jordanian media. “My proposal is to explore the state of refugee advocacy in Jordan, comparing the methods and platforms employed by Iraqi and Palestinian refugees,” Pizzi said. Pizzi has spent time working as a coach with Reclaim Childhood, a sports camp for Iraqi refugee girls in Jordan.

Pelegri-O’Day of Menlo Park, Calif., a chemistry major, will spend next year researching photoresponsive polymers in Hamburg, Germany. At the College, Pelegri-O’Day rowed for women’s crew, winning three NCAA titles and twice winning the Head of the Charles regatta. She works as a teaching assistant for the chemistry department and as a chemistry tutor for the Math and Science Resource Center.

Teaching assistantships

Kiechel, an Asian studies and history double major, will teach English in Thailand next year and backpack around the country. Kiechel, from Armonk, N.Y., became a member of Phi Beta Kappa in the fall. She has served as a writing workshop tutor, a tour guide and a tutor at the ABC House.

Kuczmarski, a psychology and Chinese double major from Chicago, Ill., will spend next year teaching English in Taiwan. “I’m hoping to improve my Mandarin there [and] to shadow doctors and learn more about [China’s] universal healthcare program, because I want to eventually go to medical school,” he said. While at the College, Kuczmarski has worked at local schools and served as a tour guide and a Junior Advisor.

Maher, an art history and German double major, will spend next year teaching English in Germany, where he will work with high school students. “I’m also hoping to get involved in the community in which I’m placed through music,” Maher said. “I’d like to assist with the school choir in any possible way or start one if there isn’t one already.” Maher, who is from Geneva, N.Y., is a member of the Concert Choir, a 1960s Scholar in art, a teaching assistant in art history and a museum assistant at the Williams College Museum of Art.

Long, a political science and environmental policy double major from Atlanta, Ga., received a fellowship to travel to Malaysia, where he will work with schools in the Malaysian rural communities of Terengganu, Pahang and Johor. While at the College, Long worked as a Career Center Fellow and volunteered with Williams Rescues All Perishable Surplus, a food security organization that delivers unused dining hall food to local food banks. Long is also a member of men’s swimming and diving.