Women’s water polo claims 2nd

Women’s water polo finished its season with an impressive second-place finish in the New England Division Championship at Boston University last weekend. The women took down Middlebury and Yale en route to the championship game against Dartmouth, where the Big Green overcame the Ephs 13-4.

The women entered the championship tournament ranked fourth of seven schools with a 5-3 record. The women started off the tournament strong with an 14-9 defeat against fifth-ranked Middlebury.

The women then took on No. 1 Yale. The game started on a positive note for the Ephs, with a well-placed shot by Anna Silberstein ’13 putting the women on top 1-0 within the first minute. Never looking back, teammates Caroline Wilson ’13, rookie Sam Petti ’15, Marissa Robertson ’12, tri-captain Paula Moren ’12 and tri-captain Elise Baker ’13 contributed to the lead. Claire Seizovic ’13 preserved the women’s hard work with an impressive shot block when Yale held a man advantage. Goalie and tri-captain Anna Marrs ’13 worked with with the defense to shut down numerous attempts by Yale’s impressive outside shooters and powerful hole-set. This 16-11 win qualified the women for the championship game against Dartmouth.

In a heartbreaking fight against Dartmouth on Sunday, Wilson put the women on the scoreboard with two goals in the second quarter. Baker and Petti scored two more goals, but the Big Green  claimed a 13-4 win.

The Ephs are pleased with their performance and improvement throughout the season. “It was an incredible team effort and we’re proud of where we finished,” Marrs said.