Women’s tennis shells out losses

Women’s tennis (16-1, 5-0 in the NESCAC) won its third match of the week on Sunday, sweeping Rochester 9-0. The women also downed No. 12 Tufts on Saturday after overcoming a tough opponent in Middlebury last Wednesday.

The women started strong against Rochester, winning all three doubles matches by comfortable margins. The doubles teams of No. 1 Kara Shoemaker ’14 and tri-captain Taylor French ’12 and No. 3 tri-captain Caroline Capute ’12 and Nancy Worley ’13 both won their matches 8-2. The No. 2 pair of tri-captain Kristin Alotta ’12 and Kathleen Elkins ’14 also contributed an impressive 8-3 win.

Alotta suffered an eye injury in her doubles match that prevented her from playing singles, but the women adjusted their line-up and still swept all six singles matches. Among the triumphant Ephs were Maria Pylypiv ’15 and Veranika Li ’13. Li routed her opponent to the tune of a 6-0, 6-0 win.

The women followed up on Saturday with another impressive victory over Tufts. The Ephs swept the doubles matches after the doubles team of Alotta and Elkins clinched an 8-0 victory over their opponents. The other two doubles teams of French and Shoemaker and Capute and Worley, both recorded 8-4 wins, putting Williams ahead 3-0 going into the singles matches.

The women won five of six singles matches en route to an 8-1 victory over the Jumbos. Alotta, Shoemaker, Curran and Capute each recorded straight-set victories; Elkins dropped the second set after winning the first, forcing a tiebreaker match she went on to claim victory over her Jumbo opponent.

Williams began the week with a huge 6-3 win over Middlebury on Wednesday in a marathon match that took over six hours to complete. When the match finally ended, the Ephs proved themselves superior, handing the previously seventh-ranked Panthers their first loss of the season.

Middlebury’s top doubles team beat the Williams team of French and Shoemaker, while partners Capute and Worley defeated their opponents 8-4. Elkins and Alotta had to go to a tiebreaker to decide their match. The Eph pairing ultimately prevailed 7-5, and the women took a 2-1 lead heading into the singles matches.

Needing to win three of the six singles matches to claim a team victory, the women pulled off four wins to take the overall victory. Shoemaker, Elkins, Capute and Rebecca Curran ’15 each had impressive wins against talented Panthers players.

“Our doubles has come a long way in the last couple of weeks,” Head Coach Alison Swain ’01 said. “It was a big confidence boost for us to head into singles play in our last three matches ahead after doubles play. Particularly in our match against Middlebury, the 2-1 lead after doubles gave us strong momentum into singles play.”

The women travel to Maine on Saturday in an attempt to maintain their perfect conference record against Bowdoin and Bates. The women will begin play at 10 a.m. against Bowdoin and at 4 p.m. against Bates. These final conference matches will complete the women’s regular season. The team’s postseason will begin with the NESCAC finals, which start on May 4.