Women’s lax falls to Jeffs

Women’s lacrosse (5-9, 1-8 in the NESCAC) dropped a tough 7-6 loss against Amherst on Saturday in double overtime.This loss came on the heels of the women’s first conference win over Hamilton. The Ephs defeated the Continentals 15-10 last Wednesday.

Against Amherst, neither team scored until tri-captain Margie Fulton ’12 was awarded a free-position shot 15:08 into the first half, putting the women up 1-0. Ten minutes later, Emily Jablonski ’14 beat her defender and slipped a shot past Amherst keeper Lamia Harik into the lower right corner to give the women a 2-0 advantage. Although netminder Ali Piltch ’14 had a fantastic first half, making six saves, Amherst took advantage of a man-up opportunity with two seconds remaining in the half to notch a goal of its own, ending the first with the score 2-1 in favor of Williams.

The second half saw much more offensive action from both teams. Jablonski scored another unassisted goal four minutes into the second half, putting the Ephs up 3-1. However, Amherst was given a free-position shot three minutes later and made good on the attempt to narrow the gap to one at 3-2. The Jeffs went on to score two more goals in the next 10 minutes, making the score 4-3 after 17 minutes of the second half had elapsed. The women answered back, however, scoring three goals in three minutes. Jablonski scored 18:40 into the second off a pass from Stephanie Gallo ’14. Rebecca McGovern ’14 scored the next two goals, putting the Ephs ahead 6-4 with less than 10 minutes to play.

The remaining minutes of the half showed strong defensive play from the Ephs, and although the Jeffs were awarded several free position shots, Piltch and the Williams defense remained tough. However, tri-captain Meera Sivalingam ’12 was given a yellow card with two minutes to play, and the Jeffs were able to capitalize on the man-up opportunity at 29:48 to bring themselves within one at 6-5. Amherst converted another free-position shot, this time with fewer than five seconds on the clock, and managed to tie the game at 6-6 with no time remaining.

During the first overtime, neither team scored. In the second overtime, Amherst won the draw control and scored just 30 seconds later to win 7-6 in the sudden death extra period.

“I was so proud of our offense for never letting up, and I have never seen our defense play that well before,” tri-captain Tyler Chapman ’12 said. “It was a great team effort all around.”

Last Wednesday, the women earned their first conference win over Hamilton. The game opened with a bang as Fulton scored a goal less than a minute in. Hamilton then answered back with three consecutive goals to make the score 3-1 after just five minutes. Williams then scored five unanswered goals over 10 minutes to make the score 6-3 23 minutes into the first. Hamilton did not end the half without a fight, scoring with 13 seconds left on the clock to narrow the game to 6-4 at the end of the half.

The offense came out firing in the second half, with Lilly Wellenbach ’15 scoring just over two minutes into the half to put the Ephs up 7-4. Later in the half, a Jablonski score at 15:58 put Williams up 10-9 and started a five-goal streak for the women that ended with a 15-9 total with just under two minutes left in the game. Hamilton scored once more to make the score 15-10, but was unable to overcome Williams. The women took the game 15-10.

“There was so much positive energy on the field and on the sidelines, and that helped propel us forward,” Chapman said of the Hamilton game.

The women will play again tonight at home against Middlebury at 5 p.m. in their final regular season game.