Softball salvages one from Midd.

Softball (15-16, 4-5 in the NESCAC) salvaged one game in a three-game weekend series against Middlebury. The Panthers took the opener of Saturday’s double header 2-1 before the Ephs rebounded for a 7-1 victory in the late game. Middlebury took the rubber game on Sunday in a close 1-0 result. On April 17, the women split a double header with RPI, winning the first game 4-3 and dropping the second 10-2.

Emma Harrington ’15 got stuck with a tough 1-0 loss in the rubber game against Middlebury on Sunday. The game was scoreless until the fourth, when Harrington gave up a single followed by a double. The Panthers then scored for a decisive 1-0 advantage. Despite outhitting Middlebury six to five, the women dropped the game 1-0. Harrington took the loss with a strong line of seven innings, five hits, one run, three walks and nine strikeouts.

Harrington took the mound for her 11th start of the season in the first game on Saturday. The rookie got burned in the first inning after handing out three free passes. A run scored on a fielder’s choice to put the Panthers up 1-0 coming out of the first frame.

Williams got a run back in the second. Ali Graebner ’14 reached second on an error and catcher Zoe Dillon-Davidson ’15 sacrificed to advance Graebner to third. Graebner then scored on a wild pitch to tie the game at 1-1.

The score remained tied heading to the top of the seventh, when Middlebury stole the lead. Harrington gave up a single, and the Panthers advanced the runner on a sacrifice. A Panther then seared a pitch to center, plating a run and giving Middlebury a decisive 2-1 lead.

Kaitlin Dinet ’13 got the nod in the second game, anchoring the women after a tough first loss. Williams got on the board first after a bunt and a pair of wild pitches advanced Mo Frank ’15  to third. Graebner hit one up the middle to plate Frank for a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first.

Middlebury scored a run in the fourth, but Graebner launched one out of the park to reclaim a 2-1 lead for the women. The Ephs lit the Panthers up in the fifth. Theresa Legan ’14 bunted for a single, and captain Ali Hart ’12 singled to short. Ally Ensor ’14 juiced the bases with a one-out single to left. An error put Graebner on first and pushed everyone up, scoring Hart to give the Ephs a 3-1 lead. Dillon-Davis walked, forcing in a fourth run. Dinet launched a single to right center, scoring Graebner and Ensor. After a throwing error, a sacrifice fly from Merrilee Weston ’13 scored Dillon-Davis for a seventh and final run. The Ephs took the game 7-1. Dinet turned in a stellar game to earn the win, going seven strong and giving up six hits, one run and one walk while striking out three.

On April 17, Harrington got the win in the women’s opening game against RPI. She went seven innings, giving up five hits and three runs while striking out five. Graebner had an RBI and Weston had two, lifting the women to a 4-3 win. Megan Casey ’13 struggled in her start in the second game. She went 2.2 innings and got tagged for nine hits and eight runs, giving up two long balls. Dinet came on in relief, going 2.1 and giving up two hits and two runs, but the women suffered a 10-2 loss in five.

“This weekend was a tough one to swallow but had some great things happen even though we lost. Some great pitching and defense, but the ball just didn’t fall our way,” Hart said.

The women played a doubleheader at Skidmore on Tuesday, but results came in too late to report. The women will take on Hamilton in a three-game conference series on Friday and Saturday before wrapping up the regular season with a doubleheader at MCLA on Sunday.