Sailing races to victory at regatta

Last weekend, the sailing team put in an impressive effort with back-to-back regattas on Saturday and Sunday. Racing at the O’Toole Trophy Regatta on Sunday were captain Andrew Lorenzen ’12 and Mimi Ludwig ’12 in the ‘A’ fleet, and Brent Bomkamp ’15 and Bradford Koenitzer ’14 in the ‘B’ fleet. Competing against both club and varsity teams, the four finished an impressive sixth out of 15 schools, with Tufts placing first. On Saturday, the team conquered the Little Three in a home regatta.

Bomkamp and Koenitzer put in an outstanding performance, starting off the O’Toole Trophy Regatta with third- and fifth-place finishes in their first set. “Our ‘B’ team carried us on Saturday,” Lorenzen said. “It’s great to see our younger sailors step up and post some great finishes; it really shows that the team has a strong future ahead.”

On Saturday, the team hosted the annual Little Three Regatta at the College’s sailing center on Lake Pontoosuc in Pittsfield. The teams sailed a combined fleet with all six boats on the water at the same time. Together, the ‘A’ fleet pairing of Josh Revkin ’13 and Ludwig and the ‘B’ fleet boat of Lorenzen and Rachael Burns ’15 dominated the event. The latter took first in all but one individual race, and the team overall put in multiple one-two finishes.

“Winning a Little Three means a lot to any team,” Lorenzen said. “To do so in such a dominant fashion feels really great.”

Sailing will make its next regatta appearance at Dartmouth this Saturday.