Rival Jeffs outlast Ephs 5-4

On Sunday, No. 3 men’s tennis (12-1) lost a closely contested battle to No. 1 Amherst. The loss followed an impressive 8-1 win over Vassar on Saturday.

The men got off to a 2-1 lead after doubles play against Amherst, with notable performances from the No. 3 doubles team of co-captains Will Petrie ’12 and Kevin Shallcross ’12, who were first off the court with an 8-4 victory. Their victory was soon followed by a win from the No. 2 doubles team of Felix Sun ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14, who also took their match 8-4. However, the Jeffs took the No. 1 doubles position 8-5.

The Ephs continued to face stiff competition in singles. The Jeffs exhibited a strong line-up of singles players, winning four of the six singles matches overall. No. 1 singles player Trey Meyer ’13 and No. 3 singles player Micheli fell to their opponents in close two-set matches, putting the Ephs down 3-2.

Sun put the Ephs on the board in singles, winning at the No. 2 position 6-4, 6-2. Sun has yet to lose a singles match, and he and doubles partner Micheli are also undefeated at the No. 2 doubles position this season.

“Felix has been unbelievably steady in singles and doubles all spring,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said. “He stepped up big yesterday, but I think that’s a product of focusing day in and out for the past few months, so I’m excited to see him compete in the big matches ahead. I see him getting better and better.”

With the match tied at 3-3, No. 4 singles player Zach Weiss ’13 pushed his opponent to three sets but ultimately fell 6-2, 1-6, 7-5. Amherst finished victorious at No. 5 and Williams took No. 6.

“We had chances against Amherst, but got outplayed at key moments,” Petrie said. “We look to improve on the big points in the next few weeks.”

The tough loss on Sunday came the day after an impressive 8-1 win over Vassar. The men were able to get wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles positions, giving them the advantage going into singles play. The Ephs swept the singles matches.

The men return to the courts this weekend in Maine to take on Bowdoin on Saturday at 2 p.m. and Bates on Sunday at 10 a.m.