Men’s track earns 24th straight Little Three title over conf. foes

Men’s track and field captured its 24th consecutive Little Three title last weekend after defeating Amherst and Wesleyan in Middleton, Conn. The meet saw a number of dominating performances that led the Ephs to a team score of 157 points. The men outpaced second-place Amherst, which scored 113 points, and Wesleyan, which scored 101 points. On Friday, co-captain Anthony Raduazo ’12 competed in the Larry Ellis Invite at Princeton.

The Ephs had a number of top performances in the field events. Johnny Ray Hinojosa ’13 vaulted 4.70 meters to win the pole vault with a new personal best. The high jump was dominated by the Ephs, as Demarius Edwards ’14 and co-captain Tomas Kearney ’12 both cleared 1.86 meters, while Chris Fogler ’13 took third with a jump of 1.76 meters. Kearney and Nate Saffold ’14 took second and third places, respectively, in the long jump. Saffold also seized second place in the triple jump with a 12.93-meter leap, scoring a personal best and qualifying for the Div. III New England Championships.

Senior co-captain Rusty Cowher ’12 had a banner day in the throws, winning three of the four events and finishing second in the javelin. Syvad Young ’12 added to Cowher’s points with second place in the shotput at 13.55 meters and third place in the discus at 37.10 meters.

“Rusty Cowher had another standout day with a career-best throw in the shot, along with an eight-meter personal best in the javelin despite just beginning to practice it earlier in the week,” Assistant Coach Ben Raphaelson said.

The men’s 4×100 meter relay of Kearney, Jared Nowell ’15, co-captain Richard Fusco ’12 and Emmanuel Daring ’15 got the track corps off to an impressive start by taking first in 43.32 seconds. In the 100 meter, Daring and Nowell returned to take second in 11.50 seconds and third place in 11.58, respectively. Daring similarly earned second place in the 200 meter with a time of 22.68, closely followed by Fusco in third and Nowell in fourth. In the 400 meter, Fusco continued to add points, taking third in 49.82.

The men dominated the hurdle events with victories from Jabulani Blyden ’13 in both events. He finished in 16.03 seconds in the 100-meter hurdles and 56.16 seconds in the 400-meter hurdles. In both events, rookie Laye Samoura ’15 took second with times of 16.26 seconds and 58.55 seconds, respectively.

The 1500 meter was led by a pack of Eph runners. Rookie Cole Townsend ’15 pulled away late in the race and nearly took the victory, but was caught by Cardinal Skyler Cummins. Townsend finished in second with an impressive time of 4:00.04. Brandon Abasolo ’13 took third place in 4:04.73.

The 5000 meter was also led by a strong Williams contingent. Wade Davis ’13 and Scott Rodilitz ’13 exchanged the lead for much of the race until Rodilitz pulled away for the win in 15:18.41. Davis finished close behind in 15:31.28. Steve Mendoza ’13 won the 3000-meter steeplechase in 9:59.85 with a valiant effort that qualified him for Div. III New Englands and established a new personal best.

On Friday, Raduazo competed in the Larry Ellis invitational where he established a PR with a time of 14:43.65. Raduazo’s time places him in the top 25 nationally.

This week, the men are focused this week on preparing for NESCACs. “We’ve gotten better as a team each week, and that will have to continue next week at NESCACs,” Raphaelson said. The championship will take place at Bates on Saturday.