Men’s lacrosse drops 15-11 battle to Amherst

On Saturday, men’s lacrosse (3-8, 1-8 in the NESCAC) fell 15-11 in a fierce match-up against rival Amherst. The loss to Amherst followed a tight game against Hamilton on April 17 that finished in triple overtime. The dramatic game ended with a disappointing 9-8 loss for the Ephs after the Continentals scored with 30 seconds left in the third overtime.

On Saturday, the men started strong, scoring just over a minute into the game. After rookie Andy Grabowski ’15 put the Ephs on the scoreboard off an assist from Mericos Rhodes ’14, teammate David Lee ’14 won the ensuing faceoff to keep the advantage in the Ephs’ favor. However, Amherst was able to win the ball back and shift the momentum, tying the game up at 1-1. The rest of the quarter was tight, with each team finding the back of the net multiple times. Goals from Grabowski, Sam Hargrove ’12 and Evan Dedominicis ’13 during the remaining eight minutes of the quarter helped the Ephs to end the first with a 4-3 lead.

The second quarter proved just as competitive as the first, as the Ephs and Jeffs traded the lead multiple times. Two unanswered Amherst goals took the lead away from the men, putting the Jeffs up 5-4 just over five minutes into the second quarter. Goals from Tucker Dayton ’14 and Colton Growney ’13 within the next four minutes put the men back on top 6-5. Amherst had the last word of the quarter, however, scoring twice more to regain a 7-6 lead going into the second half.

Amherst picked up where it left off in the second half, widening its lead to 9-6 with two goals. Rookie Steven Kiesel ’15 briefly stalled Amherst’s momentum with a goal 6:20 into the third quarter, but the Jeffs quickly bounced back. Amherst attackers Devin Acton and Cole Cherney scored their fifth and third goals of the game, respectively, to extend Amherst’s lead to three goals at 10-7 by the end of the third quarter.

The fourth quarter started much like the first, with Amherst building its lead. Going on a three-goal run, the Jeffs continued to expand a strong lead until the Ephs finally responded offensively. Goals from Dedominicis and Rhodes kept the men in the game, bringing the score to 13-9.  Despite two more goals from Amherst, yielding a 15-9 tally, Williams continued to rally. Growney and Dayton both scored their second goals of the day, leaving the final score at 15-11 in Amherst’s favor. Eph netminder Sean Dougherty ’15 recorded six saves on the day, having faced 36 shots.

On April 17, the men played Hamilton, losing 9-8 in triple overtime. Dedominicis and Grabowski had two goals apiece, while Growney, Dayton, Peter Sullivan ’14 and co-captain Tim Goggins ’12 each contributed one goal to the Ephs’ offense. Despite beating the Continentals on groundballs 38-27, the men could not capitalize in the three final overtimes. Hamilton scored with about 30 seconds left in the third overtime to pull out a 9-8 win.

Goggins thinks the team is ready to rebound next week after the tough loss. “Amherst is a great team and it is never a good feeling to lose to our biggest rival, but I thought we battled hard to the bitter end,” he said. “We just came up short. We are eager to compete for the Thompson Trophy Wednesday against Middlebury.”

The men will finish out their season today at conference foe Middlebury. Play will begin at 4:30 p.m.