Men’s golf controls home course

Men’s golf took control early on Saturday at the Williams Spring Invitational.

Dylan Dethier ’14 garnered his first collegiate indivdual tournament victory last weekend.
Dylan Dethier ’14 garnered his first collegiate indivdual tournament victory last weekend. - Photo courtesy of the Dethier Family

Six teams competed at the Taconic Golf Club, and the men emerged victorious with a cumulative team score of 622, beating second-place Middlebury by seven shots on the strength of the result of Dylan Dethier ’14. The sophomore standout claimed his first collegiate individual tournament victory. The team’s win came after a close second-place finish behind Amherst in the Little Three Championship on Wednesday.

In the Williams Invitational, Dethier won his first collegiate tournament with a two-day total of 151 strokes.

“Dethier’s individual crown is a great confidence boost heading into the [NESCAC] event, and it showed how quick he could rebound from a tough situation in the Little Three event this past week,” Head Coach Rick Pohle said of Dethier’s performance.

By the end of the first round of play on Saturday, the Ephs led the field by eight shots after totaling 299 as a team. Dethier led the field by one stroke after posting a two-over-par 73. Also contributing some low rounds were Jake Abrahams ’14 and Ross Bowen ’14, who posted a 74 and a 75, respectively.

On Sunday, while not posting results as impressive as their Day One score, the men shot a 323. Dethier battled the weather to shoot a team-low 78. Co-captain Chris Valle ’12 acknowledged Dethier’s stellar performance this weekend, which was complemented by strong showings from each of the men. Specifically, Jake Goldenring ’15 carded an 80 and Abrahams was right behind with an 81. Abrahams finished the tournament with a 155, securing him fifth place overall and a spot on the All-Tournament team. Goldenring’s two-day total of 157 (77-80) put him in seventh place overall. The rookie just missed the cut for the All-Tournament team by one stroke.

Valle and Siwol Chang ’12 competed in their final collegiate tournament over the weekend, both finishing strong. Valle shot a 77 on Saturday followed by an 82 on Sunday, and Chang shot an impressive 80 in Sunday’s rain.

On Wednesday, the men faced off against rivals Amherst and Wesleyan for the Little Three Championship at the Lyman Orchards Golf Club. The event was played uniquely, with teams competing in alternate shot format in the morning round followed by eight singles matches in the afternoon. After the morning round, the Jeffs held a tenuous one-point lead over the Ephs after the team of Dethier and Bowen rallied for a win over their opponents. Going into the afternoon, the Ephs needed to win five out of the eight singles matches. The Ephs came close after consecutive victories by Bowen and Cody Semmelrock ’14 but ultimately fell to the Jeffs 6.5-5.5 after a dramatic final round.

The men compete this weekend in the NESCAC Championship. They face off against Hamilton, Middlebury and Trinity, with the winner earning an automatic bid to the NCAA Championship at the beginning of May. Play begins on Saturday morning.