Jumbos sweep Ephs in doubleheader

Baseball (10-17, 4-5 in the NESCAC) dropped both of its games last weekend at Tufts’ Bobby Coombs Field. The Ephs fell 10-1 in the early game and could not force a split, losing 7-3 in the late game. Last Wednesday, the men topped Southern Vermont 11-2 after losing 14-6 to Western New England on April 17. 

Taylor Mondshein ’13 got the Ephs on the board early against Tufts with a single in the first. PHOTO COURTESY OF SPORTS INFORMATION.

Co-captain Harry Marino ’12 started the first seven-inning contest against Tufts for the men. Williams jumped on the board early, scoring a run in the bottom of the first on a Cameron Susk ’12 groundout following singles by Darren Hartwell ’13 and Taylor Mondshein ’13. The Ephs’ lead was shortlived, however, as the Jumbos scored three runs in the top of the second for a 3-1 tally and never trailed again.

Marino threw the first four and two-thirds innings, yielding nine runs, seven earned, on 11 hits, one walk and three strikeouts. Rookie Kelso Stevens ’15 relieved Marino in the fifth and finished the game for the Ephs, allowing one run on two hits. The men’s bats were quiet despite a short scoreless rally in the seventh after a walk by Phil McGovern ’15 and a single by Luke Pierce ’15. The Tufts pitcher, who threw a complete game, quelled the rally and finished off a 10-1 win for the Jumbos. Pierce was the only Eph with more than one hit, going 2-3 on the day.

Thomas Murphy ’15 was on the mound for the Ephs in game two and pitched well despite a subpar day defensively for the men. Tufts scored two unearned runs off Murphy in the top of the first and plated another run in the second on two hits. The score remained 3-0 until the bottom of the sixth when co-captain Steve Maier ’12 singled to left field to lead off the inning. With one out, Mondshein and Susk drew back-to-back walks to load the bases. Marco Hernandez ’14 hit an RBI single, bringing home Maier, before Hartwell knocked a groundout to the second baseman to score Mondshein, making the game 3-2. The Ephs tied the game at 3-3 after Tommy Stephens ’14 walked and McGovern was hit by a pitch.

Tufts responded quickly and retook the lead in the next inning. Three hits and two errors by Eph fielders allowed three runs to cross the plate, giving the Jumbos a 6-3 lead. Matt Berdoff ’12 relieved Murphy with one out in the seventh and got the men out of the jam. Berdoff pitched a scoreless eighth before Jimmy Ray ’13 came on in the ninth. Tufts scored one run off Ray on two hits, claiming a decisive 7-3 lead. Kirby Neuner ’14 walked in the bottom of the ninth but was stranded on base at the end of the game. Despite taking the loss, Murphy pitched a strong game, finishing with a line of 6.1 innings and six runs – two earned.

“We treated these games like they didn’t matter and it showed.” Head Coach Bill Barrale said of the men’s performance. The team combined for five errors and allowed six unearned runs in the doubleheader.

The doubleheader losses followed a split earlier in the week, with a loss at home to Western New England and a win at Southern Vermont. On Wednesday, the men beat Southern Vermont by a count of 11-2. Rookie Dylan Griswold ’15 pitched six shutout innings to earn his second win of the season on the game. The offense showed its potential potency by exploding for 21 hits. Chance Reuger ’13 emerged as the offensive leader for the Ephs, going 4-5 on the day with two doubles and three RBI. On April 17 at home against Western New England, the Ephs fell 14-6 to the Golden Bears and Jacob Slater ’15 took the loss. Hartwell, Mondshein and Ben Oliva ’12 each recorded multi-hit games.

The men traveled to Union last night, but scores came in too late to report. Williams plays at RPI today before a home game against Eastern Nazarene on Thursday. The team will play a three-game set at home against Hamilton this weekend which will determine if the men will make the conference playoffs.