1 in 2000

I first got to know Emily Fox ’15 – known to Sage D as Foxy – when I extensively stalked her Facebook page over the summer when the list of my frosh was released.

(Sevonna Brown/Photo Editor)

A lot has gone on since First Days, so I had a lot more material when we sat down in the common room over some casual Grab n’ Go. She had an Orgo lab to attend so the pressure was on, and thankfully, we weren’t interrupted by one of the many tours that are known to pay our entry a visit. Rather fittingly, she was seated right under our wall of entry baby photos, with a picture of her as an infant, holding what I think is a power drill, gazing down at us.

You just got back from a round of speed dating for Williams Outdoor Orientation for Living as First-Years (WOOLF) last night; did you find your soul mate?

I wouldn’t say that I found my soul mate. It was a little hectic actually, being there for two and a half hours, having to meet a little over 30 people, so it all kind of mushed together what people said. I think it was good to see who you connected with, who you didn’t. That was clear, but it was a little stressful.

What are you looking for in your ideal outdoor orientation trip co-leader?

I guess someone who is funny, obviously, or things would get a little awkward on the trip. Also someone who thinks I’m funny, because if they don’t that’s also awkward. My sense of humor is slightly off-key from what other people might think.

Have you found that people at the College have a hard time understanding your perhaps alternative sense of humor?

Well, some people do, but I think that’s because they don’t see the full side of me. For instance, I’d say people in my entry get a pretty accurate picture, but other people who tend to see the straight-up, serious side of me get a little confused when I let loose.

It’s become fairly common knowledge that you love to floss, fairly constantly. How are you going to sustain that while you’re on your WOOLF trip?

That is true. Typically, I use floss sticks, and I suppose I can just bring them along, but I need a clean one every time. So as long as I carry them around and keep them in my backpack – you know, “No trace left behind.” I guess that works, but I’m running out, so I need a refill.

How often do you floss?

Usually once a day, it can be twice. When I’m doing homework, I’ll just have one. I’ll do it in public sometimes, and people have no idea what I’m doing. It’s an obsession, but I guess it’s not a bad one to have.

Do you have any idea why it’s so important to you?

I don’t know. I’m slightly OCD, but not really. It’s a nice reassurance that my teeth are clean.

It’s also been divulged that you live on a farm back home. How was that growing up?

It was fun. We’re not an operating farm, but we have a barn and all the fields. We grow our own crops, and we have chickens and whatnot. It’s a nice alternative playground to have. We have cats – those are always fun. It’s not your typical childhood experience, but I liked it.

I’m curious. How often have you gotten to name pets?

Oh, I named all the cats in the barn. When I started out, in the early years, they were mostly flowers, but then they became more modern-ish names. My favorite was Lila. No, was that … Ila, it was Ila. She was cool. I talked to her a lot. I would run kitty daycare in my basement, so I would take this big laundry basket to the barn and put all the kittens in it and take them back to the basement. We would have different stations for playtime and naptime, but my mom didn’t really like it because she’s allergic and she would always know. She would come down and say, “I’m sneezing. Emily, what are you doing?” I would try to hide it, but she’s too smart for me.

It sounds like living in that environment, you got very close to your parents.

I would say so. It wasn’t so much the environment, but just how they are as people because they’re always doing stuff with us. My dad is basically a kid at heart; he has more toys than any child I know. He always buys new helicopter and plane and rocket [toys], so I always just grew up with him playing with me like a kid.

The people in the entry have come to know you – at least in part – as the girl whose parents took baby pictures of you in the nude with power tools. How did that come about?

I honestly have no idea. I was probably a few months old at the time. But going through my baby albums there are a few of me, you know, sitting there with a saw. And typically those photos have a caption bubble, which is very weird. I asked my parents about it, and they think it’s completely normal. But yeah, there’s photos with me up until the age of four standing on a log with a chainsaw. I don’t really know what to think of it. It’s a little weird, but I guess they’re kind of cool … Maybe?

What is your favorite tool that they included?

Man. I don’t really know. I really like the pictures where it’s me and my sister with caption bubbles, because they went really overboard. We’ll be having a whole conversation in the picture – we each have three caption bubbles below.

Around the entry, which I guess is one of my only perspectives of you, you’ve also been heard making all sorts of imitations and impersonations. When did this gift come to you?

It’s not a gift. I really like doing accents. I’m not necessarily good at them, but it’s kind of fun not to have to talk in your voice for a little bit. I have this weird thought that whatever you say doesn’t have to be associated with who you are, which is a pretty bad misconception and it annoys people sometimes. But yeah, all kinds of accents, especially weird ones. Grandma voices are a specialty, but anything to liven up the mood.

How long have you gone speaking only in a different accent of your choice?

When I was younger, I never had an imaginary friend, but … It’s very odd. I decided to be an alternative personality for six whole months, my mom says. It wasn’t like I was bipolar. [I had] this character I called “Different Girl Sister” because she was a different girl than Emily, but I considered her my sister. I was her straight through for six months; she had a weird baby voice, and she was pretty mischievous. Then I got sick of that so I ditched her, but she would always make surprise visits, I told my mom. When there would be a mess in the room, my mom would ask me what I did, and I would say, “Oh, Different Girl Sister visited for a little bit, so, sorry!” I feel like things could have originated there. I think six months is a pretty long run.

That’s astounding.

I was pretty weird. Being Emily was kind of boring. I would go to daycare and push people around. They would try to get me in trouble, and I would say “No, I’m not Emily. I’m Different Girl Sister. You can’t put her in time out.”

I don’t mean to criticize, but you couldn’t find a better name than Different Girl Sister?

Ok, I was four or five.

Oh, wow.

No, I wasn’t seven, I was on to better things by then.

All right. Any concluding remarks? I think we have enough gold.

That’s it? You’re going to put in all the weird things about me? Can this be anonymous? Can I take my picture with a mask? Please?

No, we can’t.