WUFO clinches conference crown at Brown

The Williams Ultimate Frisbee Organization (WUFO) traveled to Brown to compete in Southern New England’s Div. I conference championships last Saturday. Four teams attended the tournament: WUFO, Brown, University of Rhode Island and UMass-Amherst. The men dropped Univeristy of Rhode Island 15-10 and UMass-Amherst 15-11 to claim a berth at the regional championships.

With three spots at regional championships up for grabs, every game over the weekend counted. WUFO began Saturday’s play against the University of Rhode Island. After coming out slow and down a few early points, the offensive line stepped up its consistency while the defensive line generated turnovers and scores. Anchored by strong play on offense from captain Aaron Freedman ’12 and handler Connor Dowling ’14 on defense, WUFO was able to come back from an early deficit to defeat University of Rhode Island 15-10.

In the conference championship game later on Saturday, WUFO faced UMass-Amherst’s ZooDisc, a team that had upset the men the previous week. With the conference on the line, both teams played a wide-open game focusing on long throws and fast-paced play. All of WUFO’s throwers made plays, with Brent Eng ’12 and Stephen Weiss ’12 proving to be major factors in the air on offense and defense. WUFO came out on top by a margin of four at 15-11.

With the conference championship in the bag, WUFO looks ahead to New England Div. I Regionals, to be held at Dartmouth on May 5-6. Powerful teams like Tufts, Dartmouth and Vermont stand between WUFO and Nationals. Only time will tell which team will win New England’s solitary bid to Boulder, Colo., for the competition, which will be held May 25-28.