Women’s lacrosse falls to Colby, RPI

Women’s lacrosse (4-8, 0-7 in the NESCAC) fell to Colby on Saturday in a tough 14-10 loss. The women also dropped a tight game against RPI on April 10, losing 13-12. 

Last Saturday, the women traveled to Maine to battle Colby. The Mules came out firing, scoring two goals in the first five minutes for a 2-0 advantage. Sam Weinstein ’13 put the Ephs on the scoreboard with an unassisted goal just 4:59 into the half. Lilly Wellenbach ’15 then scored three goals in four minutes, putting the Ephs up 4-2 with just over 20 minutes left to play in the first.

Colby responded and narrowed the women’s lead to one just over two minutes later, but Wellenbach quickly retorted, notching her fourth goal of the game less than 20 seconds later to bring the score to 5-3 in the women’s favor. At 16:18, Colby scored to make it a tight 5-4 game.

The women were not satisfied with a one-goal lead, however, and fought to widen the margin, scoring three goals in three minutes. Emily Jablonski ’14 recorded her first goal of the game with just over 13 minutes to play, bringing the score to 6-4. Tri-captains Meera Sivalingam ’12 and Margie Fulton ’12 then scored back-to-back goals to put the women up 8-4. Colby scored 17 seconds later, with just over 10 minutes to play in the first half, for an 8-5 tally. Williams again answered back, with Emily Whicker ’13 scoring off an assist from Rebecca McGovern ’14 to reopen the women’s lead to four at 9-5. Colby was not willing to end the half without a fight, scoring two goals in the remaining minutes to close the first half with a score of 9-7.

The Mules came out strong in the second half, scoring a goal in the first minute and then again three minutes later to tie the game at 9-9. Colby then stole a 10-9 lead with just under 20 minutes to play. Despite the large offensive presence of the Ephs in the first half, the women only scored once in the second half. Fulton, assisted by Wellenbach, tied the game for the Ephs at 10-10 with 13:04 on the clock. Although the women fought hard, they could not withstand the pressure from the Mules, who found the back of the net four more times before the end of the game, making the final score 14-10 in favor of the Mules.

Wellenbach led the team in points for the day, scoring four goals and recording two assists. Fulton scored two goals for the Ephs, and goalie Ali Piltch ’14 had six saves. Williams dominated in draw controls, winning 19 of 26 draws.

On April 10 against RPI, the women controlled the first half, going up 7-4 before the half was over. RPI closed the gap in the second half, tying the game at 10-10 with 11:26 left to play. Katie Ellis ’12 scored for Williams to make the score 11-10 before RPI again tied the game at 11-11 and then scored again to go up by one at 12-11 with just under five minutes to play. Ellis answered back for the Ephs, scoring 10 seconds later to tie the game at 12-12. However, RPI scored again with 3:54 remaining, ultimately dropping Williams 13-12.

Ellis scored four goals for the women against RPI, and Fulton, Jablonski and Wellenbach each contributed two. Piltch made nine saves on the day.

“The first half of the Colby game was probably the best half that we’ve had all year,” Fulton said. “We’ve steadily improved over the course of the season and have proven that we can play with any team in the league, but we need to play the full 60 minutes like we did in the first half against Colby.”

The women will play again today, when they travel to Hamilton for a 7 p.m. game. The team then hosts rival Amherst on Saturday at noon.