Softball splits three double headers

Softball (13-13, 3-3 in the NESCAC) split a pair of double headers last weekend after sweeping Springfield on the road last Wednesday.

Mo Frank '15 recorded a home run in the women's 5-1 win against Keene State last Sunday. PHOTO COURTESY OF SPORTS INFORMATION

The women took their first game against Keene State 5-1 but lost the rubber game 4-3 on Sunday. On Thursday, Williams pounded Western New England in a 15-0 mercy-rule shutout before dropping its second game 7-5 in a slugfest double header. The women downed Springfield on Wednesday with a 1-0 win in the first game and a 4-2 victory in the second.

Emma Harrington ’15 started the first game of the women’s double header against Keene State on Sunday. The contest was scoreless heading into the top of the third when the Owls’ pitcher lapsed. Captain Ali Hart ’12 walked with one out, and Mo Frank ’15 bunted her over to second. Ally Ensor ’14 got another free pass before Ali Graebner ’14 was hit by the pitch, juicing the bases with one out. A wild pitch then advanced each run, with Hart scoring the first run of the game to give the women a 1-0 lead. Ensor then scored on a passed ball to give Williams a 2-0 lead.

Keene State got a run back in the third, but Hart singled home another run in the fourth to give the Ephs a 3-1 advantage. The women padded their lead with a pair of insurance runs in the sixth courtesy of an RBI single from Hart and a homer from Frank. After seven innings, the Ephs walked off with a 5-1 lead. Harrington earned the win, giving up one run and striking out 10 in seven innings.

Megan Casey ’13 took the mound for the women in their second game against Keene State. Hart singled to open the game, while Ensor left the yard with a two-run shot that put the women up 2-0 in the first. Casey kept the Pride quiet heading to the top of the third, when Hart ripped a double to right center. After a sacrifice bunt, Hart was on third when Ensor was hit by a pitch. Graebner stepped up to the plate with runners on first and third and one out. The Eph hammered a double to right, plating Hart to give the women a 3-0 lead.

The Owls got the run back in the bottom of the inning. Casey gave up a double and a single before a passed ball pushed a run across. The women held a 3-1 lead heading to the bottom of the fourth. Casey sent the first two batters of the inning down swinging before giving up a pair of free passes. An error with two on and two out gave Keene State its second run of the game. With runners on first and third, a double pushed two across, and the Owls took a decisive 4-3 lead, ultimately allowing Keene State to claim a 4-3 victory in seven innings. Casey went six strong and gave up five hits, four runs with one earned run and struck out nine.

On Thursday, the women split a double header against Western New England. The first game was decided after the first inning, when the women put a nine-spot on the board, recording seven hits, three walks and a hit batsman. The women added three runs in the third to take a 12-0 lead before capping the game with three more in the fourth. With the score 15-0, the women claimed an early victory by virtue of the five-inning mercy rule. Harrington got the shutout win, giving up just two hits and two walks in five innings of work. She struck out six in the contest.

The women played a tight second game against Western New England with Emalie Rott ’15 starting. Kaitlin Dinet ’13 came on in the third after Rott gave up four runs in three innings. Dinet sent the first batter down swinging in the seventh but then gave up a single. The Golden Bears then hit a two-run dinger to steal the walk-off 7-5 victory.

Last Wednesday, the women earned a sweep over Springfield. Harrington notched her seventh win of the season in the early game, earning a 1-0 victory. Dinet got the win in the women’s 4-2 victory in the rubber match.

“Honestly, this late in the year, we don’t really pay attention to class year. We’ve put so much work in together throughout the year that no one can really be referred to as a rookie anymore,” Hart said of the team’s chemistry.

The women played a doubleheader against RPI on Tuesday, but results came in too late to report. Williams will host a three-game series with NESCAC rival Middlebury beginning at 5 p.m. on Friday. A double header will follow on Saturday with first pitches thrown at  noon and 2 p.m., respectively.