MinCo works to revise institutional constitution

On April 10, the Minority Coalition (MinCo) passed its revised constitution by a vote of 10-1-1. MinCo addressed the proposed amendments to the constitution at a meeting that took place yesterday evening. Several of these amendments failed to pass, and many of the amendments were tabled with an agreement to discuss and revisit them at the following MinCo meeting. Through a two-month long revision process, Mattie Feder ’13, MinCo steering board treasurer, and Kate Flanagan ’14, CC community and diversity representative, drafted the new constitution and led MinCo meetings to revise the constitution. Emily Nuckols ’15, the Queer Student Union (QSU) MinCo representative, was also largely involved in the constitutional review process. The constitution should be instated in the beginning of next fall.

Major changes addressed in the rewriting of the constitution include a division that separates funding from other MinCo endeavors, a voluntary subgroup withdrawal procedure, a MinCo dissolution procedure and a revised statement of the purpose and function of the institution. The revised constitution also redefines and establishes the roles of MinCo Steering Board members regarding aspects of their voting roles and rights within MinCo.

“[The document] reflects a significant structural difference from the way MinCo has operated in years past,” Flanagan said. “Primarily, the document has been revised to reflect a change voted for by the [MinCo] representatives over Winter Study.”

Structural changes involved splitting the MinCo funding processes and the programmatic, educational and collaborative processes of MinCo into two separate committees: The Minority Coalition Funding Committee and the Minority Coalition General Committee.

“In recent years, funding concerns have drained away valuable time and energy to put towards larger campus issues more in line with MinCo’s original purpose,” said Roop Dutta ’12, outgoing MinCo co-chair. “The new constitution features a new model in which MinCo reps will meet together – along with anyone from the campus wishing to attend – to discuss and decide MinCo’s larger role on the campus, ways in which the MinCo subgroups can better work together, minority concerns, etc.,” he said, adding that this comprises the MinCo General Committee.

The amendments proposed on April 10 are seen as the final touch to a larger constitutional revision process that has spanned more than two months. “The amendments that were brought largely reflect the need to ‘polish up’ the document,” Flanagan said. “The amendment process allows for the clarifying and streamlining of procedural processes, as well as enabling us to address certain aspects of the Steering Board’s roles and rights within MinCo,” Flanagan said.

According to Flanagan, the amendments “are building off of the work that’s already been done” in revising the MinCo constitution, allowing each subgroup the opportunity to contribute to the changes being made.

The majority of the amendments debated at yesterday’s meeting were contributed by the QSU and the Chinese American Student Organization, which were first proposed during the April 10 meeting. The subgroups were then to deliberate and discuss the proposed amendments, bringing their votes and opinions to yesterday’s MinCo meeting.

The tabled amendments, as well as one amendment proposed by the BSU at yesterday’s meeting, will be discussed again within MinCo subgroups and readdressed at next week’s MinCo meeting.