Men’s tennis shuts out Camels

No. 3 men’s tennis (12-0, 4-0 in the NESCAC) ended a successful weekend of play with a 9-0 win over Conn. College on Sunday.

Trey Meyer '13 defeated his singles and doubles match opponents in the team's Sunday win against Conn. College. CALEB BAER/PHOTO EDITOR

The win against Conn. College followed an impressive 7-2 trouncing of No. 7 Middlebury on Friday. With the pair of wins, the Ephs remain undefeated in the spring season.

The men held a 3-0 lead going into singles play  against Conn. College behind an especially commanding 8-1 win from the third-slot doubles team of co-captains Will Petrie ’12 and Kevin Shallcross ’12. In singles, the Ephs continued their dominating play with a sweep of the singles matches. Most notably, Charlie Hammond ’13 stepped up to play number six singles and gave the Ephs a 6-3, 6-0 victory. All of the men posted dominating wins in the singles round, firmly dismissing the Camels.

“I think our strength is our depth,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said.  “We have three tough doubles teams and six tough singles players, not to mention the guys just outside the lineup who continually push our starters in practice. Charlie [Hammond] stepped up today and had a great debut at No. 6.”

The match against Conn. College followed a 7-2 win over No. 7 Middlebury on Friday. The men got off to a 2-1 lead in doubles, with victories from the No. 1 team of Trey Meyer ’13 and Bryan Chow ’13 and the No. 2 duo of Felix Sun ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14. In singles, the Ephs were able to take five of the six singles matches, with especially closely contested matches at number one singles, where Meyer won 7-6 (2), 6-1, and at number four singles, in which Zach Weiss ’13 vanquished his Panther opponent in three sets.

“It was great to beat Middlebury, but I was more impressed with how our guys played throughout the match,” Greenberg said. “We were steady the entire time with very few blips.”

Shallcross was happy with the team’s win and is excited for the next few weeks of play. “Overall the team’s performance this weekend can be characterized as strong to quite strong,” he said. “Nonetheless we have a lot of work left to do. We have Vassar this Saturday, and then No. 1 Amherst comes to town Sunday, which is always a treat.”

Greenberg and the men are looking forward to the upcoming conference matches and finishing out the regular season on a high note. “Every match from here on out is going to be intense, so we need to make sure we maximize our practice and gym time,” Greenberg said.

Williams is scheduled to host Vassar on Saturday and archrival Amherst on Sunday. Play will begin at 1 p.m. against Vassar and 2 p.m. against Amherst.