Men’s lax edged 10-9 by Colby

On senior day on Saturday, men’s lacrosse (3-7, 1-6 in the NESCAC) fell to NESCAC foe Colby despite a tremendous effort and an early lead. The defeat against Colby followed a rousing 8-6 win over No. 5 Union on Wednesday. 

Colton Growney ’13 scored two goals on Wednesday as the men edged past No. 5 Union. PHOTO COURTESY OF SPORTS INFORMATION.

The men struck first against Colby, getting on the board with a goal from Stephen Upton ’14 2:27 into the first. Colby quickly retaliated, and the game was eventually tied 2-2 with only seconds to play in the first quarter thanks to a second Williams goal from Andy Grabowski ’15. Sam Hargrove ’12 assisted Grabowski’s goal. The Ephs had the last word of the quarter, as Mericos Rhodes ’14 scored from the top of the box to gain a 3-2 lead for the men going into the second quarter.

David Lee ’14 led the Ephs into the second, winning the face-off and bringing the ball down toward the Mules’ goal. Colby won the ball back quickly, however, and scored off of a fast break opportunity to tie the game up at 3-3. Despite a man advantage for the Mules, Evan Dedominicis ’13 kept up the pressure for the Ephs, scoring off a pass from Hargrove with 5:11 remaining on the clock. Colby tied it back up at 4-4 with a behind-the-back goal, closing out a hard-fought, competitive second half.

Colby came out with a bang in the second half, scoring just under a minute into the third quarter. This goal sparked a five-goal run for the Mules, which was only briefly deterred by a goal from Colton Growney ’13 2:29 into the quarter. Growney’s unassisted goal kept the Ephs in the game, but did little to slow the Mules’ momentum. Grabowski finally broke the Mules’ scoring streak, netting a goal off a pass from Eric Kelley ’14 in the last second of the third for a 9-6 Mules lead. The men fed off this break in Colby’s momentum, scoring just 20 seconds into the fourth quarter. Rookie Steven Kiesel ’15 passed to Hargrove, who closed the Mules’ lead to only two goals at 9-7 just 37 seconds into the fourth quarter. Despite clutch goals from Grabowski and Michael Acierno ’12 in the closing minutes of the game, the Ephs could not close out the comeback. The game ended with the men down 10-9.

Netminder Sean Dougherty ’15 recorded eight saves on the day. The ground ball battle was tight, with each team scooping up 19. However, the men outshot Colby heavily, taking 35 shots to their opponents’ 27.

Last Wednesday the men defeated No. 5 Union in a thrilling 8-6 victory. Despite falling behind 2-0 in the first quarter, the Ephs bounced back with two goals by Growney, the second of which came off an assist by Charles Gephart ’12. At the half, the game was tied 2-2.

The Ephs managed to the take lead in the third quarter after a goal by Rhodes 46 seconds into the third and two unassisted goals by Hargrove, the second of which came with 4:39 left in the quarter. The men finished the quarter up 5-2.

The Dutchmen mounted a comeback in the fourth, tying the game by the time the clock wound down to 4:35 with four goals of their own. The run was broken up by a score from Dedominicis 2:30 into the quarter, leaving the game tied 6-6. The Ephs rallied, however, and two goals by co-captain Will Stewart ’13 and Acierno at 3:07 and 1:07, respectively, sealed the game for the Ephs with a final tally of 8-6.

Despite the men’s 3-7 record, Head Coach George McCormack remains optimistic. “We are very proud of our team’s effort and commitment all year,” McCormack said. “None of us are happy about our current record as it stands, but we also know that wehave competed with the best lacrosse programs in the country and have held our own.”

The men played Hamilton on Tuesday, but results came in too late to report. Williams will next travel to Amherst for a 1 p.m. game on Saturday.