Men’s golf stumbles at NYU Invitational

Despite favorable playing conditions for men’s golf during Saturday and Sunday’s NYU/Manhattanville Spring Invitational, the course played tough for the entire field, including Williams. The men posted a 647 on the par-71 Hampshire CC to finish in 11th place out of 13 teams. Skidmore won the title by a narrow margin of three shots over Middlebury. Dylan Dethier ’14 finished tied for sixth with a solid two-day total of 153 strokes.

After the first round of play on Saturday, the men sat in seventh place. Even with a team total of 323, the Ephs were only five shots out of third and still in striking position. Dethier shot a team-low 78, while Jake Goldenring ’15 turned in a 79 with Ross Bowen ’14 right behind with an 80. While the greens were riddled with deep aeration holes, Head Coach Rick Pohle thought the team battled well on the unfamiliar course and was optimistic that the men would continue to strike the ball well on Sunday and hopefully get lucky on the greens.

The final round on Sunday was largely a disappointment for the Ephs, but there were some improvements over the men’s individual Day One performances. Led by Dethier, who managed a 75 despite taking a a triple bogey on his 13th hole, the men carded a cumulative 324. Goldenring’s performance  also improved on Sunday, as he turned in a smooth 77. The rookie finished the tournament with a 156, good enough to tie him for 13th individually.

Pohle was proud of Dethier and Goldenring for their individual performances, but he emphasized the importance of each player doing his part to help the team’s cumulative score. “It was not our best performance this weekend, but I hope it is a wake-up call for a number of players,” Pohle said. “Yes, this is an individual sport, but it is scored as a team event, and we didn’t quite get the job done in either round of this event.”

While Pohle was disappointed with the team’s performance over the weekend, he remained positive about the men’s outlook going forward. “We have too much talent to stay at the bottom of the list,” he said. “It is time to take control and get to where we belong.”

The men return to competition today in the Little Three Championship, which is held at Wesleyan. The men will look to use Little Threes as an opportunity to rebuild some confidence before hosting the Williams Spring Opener this weekend. Two days of play will begin on Saturday at the Taconic Golf Course.