Baseball trumps Wesleyan in weekend series

Men’s baseball (9-14, 4-5 in the NESCAC) defeated Wesleyan in both games of a double header at home on Saturday and completed the series sweep with a win in Middletown on Sunday.

Marco Hernandez '14 notched an RBI for the Ephs in the men's sweep of the Cardinals in last Saturday's double header. CALEB BAER/PHOTO EDITOR

The men’s bats came alive on Sunday for a 14-4 trouncing of the Cardinals. In Saturday’s double header, the Ephs pulled off two hard-fought wins by margins of 7-1 and 5-3, respectively.  The series sweep was a welcome rebound for the men after they fell to Westfield State 6-2 earlier in the week.

The final game of the series against Wesleyan was a slugfest for the men. Although the Cardinals struck first with a score in the second, the Ephs racked up nine unanswered runs to lead 9-1 by the top of the fifth. The men took advantage of three Cardinal errors in the third to plate three and scored just as many in the fourth on doubles by Phil McGovern ’15, Thomas Murphy ’15 and co-captain Stephen Maier ’12. The Ephs batted around in the sixth, scoring six runs off of five hits, most notably a triple with the bases loaded by Taylor Mondshein ’13. Mondshein’s hit cleared the bases for three RBIs. Wesleyan’s attempt at a comeback in the bottom of the fifth was contained by starting pitcher Steve Marino ’14.

After doubling to left field, Cameron Susk ’12 scored in the sixth on a groundout by McGovern and again in the eighth off a single by Marco Hernandez ’14. The men were up 13-4 by the end of the sixth, and tallied an insurance run in the eighth for a final score of 14-4.

Throughout the game, the Cardinals were never within five runs of the Ephs. Dan Grossman ’12 pitched scoreless sixth and seventh innings before being relieved by fellow side-armer Lucas Casso ’13 in the eighth. Jimmy Ray ’13 pitched the final inning for the Ephs to secure the victory at 14-4. Maier and Susk both enjoyed big games at the plate with three hits apiece.

Co-captain Harry Marino ’12 dominated in the first game of the series on Saturday, throwing 130 pitches for an 11-strikeout effort. The game was scoreless until the bottom of the third when the Ephs broke out for four runs. Singles by Maier, Ben Oliva ’12 and Darren Hartwell ’13 set the table for Mondshein’s triple to the right-center field gap. Clean-up hitter Matt Kastner ’14 plated Mondshein with a sacrifice fly.

Wesleyan scored its lone run in the top of the fifth, but the Cardinals’ hope of a comeback was quelled by a three-run burst from the Ephs in the sixth. Luke Pierce ’15 tripled to score Susk and McGovern brought Pierce home with a single. McGovern also scored after a sacrifice single by Oliva and a single by KC Murphy ’13.

In the late game on Saturday, the Cardinals struck early and put the ball in play against Thomas Murphy to score three runs, one earned, in the first inning. The Eph pitching combination of Ray, Thomas Murphy and Matt Berdoff ’12 stymied the Wesleyan offense: The Cardinals did not plate another run for the rest of the game.

With the bullpen keeping the game close, the Eph hitters did not disappoint, scoring in the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth innings. The men got on the board when Mondshein smacked a single in to score Thomas Murphy. In the sixth, both Pierce and Oliva reached first due to hit-by-pitches and set the stage for back-to-back RBI singles by KC Murphy and Maier. The Ephs finally took the lead when Susk hit a single to right field to score Mondshein. The team tagged on an insurance run when Oliva swiped home on a wild pitch. Two runs were more than enough for Ray, who recorded four outs, to earn the save.

Head Coach Bill Barrale was pleased with the men’s ability to put the games from the previous week behind them. “I think we finally played like the team I thought we could be this weekend,” he said.

The weekend wins followed a tough 6-2 loss to Westfield State earlier in the week in a game started by rookie Jacob Slater ’15. Mondshein, Ray and McGovern each recorded a two-hit game.

Williams hosted Western New England last night, but results came in too late to report. The men will compete at non-conference rival Southern Vermont at 4 p.m. tonight before hosting a Tufts double header at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Saturday. Williams will then travel to Union for a 4 p.m. game on Tuesday.

• Brynn Hatmaker

Major thankies for the blog article.Thanks Again. Great.