Women’s swimming clinches second place at Nationals

Women’s swimming and diving (8-0) claimed second place at the Div. III NCAA Championships in Indianapolis on March 22-24. The women claimed nine national titles, and co-captain Logan Todhunter ’12 added to the excitement by earning Swimmer of the Meet honors for the second time in her collegiate career. Head Coach Steve Kuster was also named Coach of the Year for his leadership. Emory took the top spot with 639 points, while Williams banked 453 points.

The women opened the meet with a one-two finish in the 500 freestyle. Caroline Wilson ’13 won the event in a time of 4:45.45. Rookie Sarah Thompson ’15 proved her talent with a second-place showing, finishing five seconds behind Wilson at 4:50.60. Todhunter claimed her first national title of the meet in the next event, the 200 IM. The senior finished the race in 2:00.58, just  missing the Div. III record of 2:00.27.

In the 200 medley relay, Stephanie Nguyen ’14, Carolyn Geller ’12, Wilson and Todhunter turned in an impressive second-place effort. The squad finished just behind Emory in a time of 1:42.48. The women finished in fifth in the 200 freestyle relay.  The team of Kelsey Roggensack ’13, Catherine Treesh ’15, Thompson and Geller touched the wall just shy of an ‘A’ cut in 1:34.82.

Wilson then set a new Div. III record in the 400 IM. The junior took the title with a blazing time of 4:13.14, finishing over 12 seconds faster than the time required for an ‘A’ cut. Co-captain Bonnie Patchen ’12 finished eighth in the event in 4:27.87. Todhunter then broke the Div. III record in the 100 butterfly to claim her second national title of the meet. The senior finished the race in a searing 53.04, obliterating the field en route to an ‘A’ cut. Thompson also claimed a national title in the 200 freestyle. After finishing third in the preliminaries, the rookie powered to first with a time of 1:50.27.

In the one-meter diving competition, McKenzie Murdoch ’14 shone with an eighth-place result, banking 401.90 points. The sophomore took fifth in the three-meter competition with 448.20 points.

The 400 medley relay squad of Thompson, Wilson, Todhunter and Geller broke the Div. III record with a national title-caliber performance. The team finished in 3:42.21, besting the ‘A’ cut qualifying time by over four seconds. The same group returned to claim another victory in the 800 freestyle relay. The women earned a national title and an ‘A’ cut with a time of 7:18.15, setting a new Div. III record. The same squad took second in the 400 freestyle relay, snaring another ‘A’ cut after touching the wall at 3:22.71.

Todhunter claimed another national title in the 200 butterfly. The senior broke the Div. III record with a time of 1:55.66 to earn first place. Roggensack and Patchen also put in strong showings in the event, both earning ‘A’ cuts. Roggensack finished fourth in 2:02.78 with Patchen right behind in fifth at 2:03.05. Wilson showed her versatility with another national title in the 1650 freestyle. She swam to first in 16:40.42. Thompson was close behind in third, touching the wall in 16:47.44.

Todhunter claimed three individual titles at the meet and was a member of two first-place relay squads. The Eph was named Swimmer of the Meet for the second time in her career.

The meet concluded the women’s season. The team will graduate nine women: Geller, Patchen, Todhunter, Abbie Deal ’12, Maia Dickinson ’12, Kathleen Morrison ’12, Anna Szymanski ’12, Ashley Turner ’12 and Hannah Wilson ’12.

Kuster praised the senior class highly. “The seniors have been a great group. They are all great individuals and role models. They will certainly be missed and impossible to replace,” he said.