Women’s golf preps for spring

Coming off the program’s first-ever undefeated season in the fall, women’s golf is eager to get back out on the course under the leadership of Head Coach Erika DeSanty. The women are motivated to maintain their undefeated streak after earning an impressive 20-0 record last season, especially after a loss to CSU-Monterey Bay on March 26.

Returning players include the team’s two seniors, Grace Gordon ’12 and Izzy Lee ’12, who  promise to demonstrate excellent leadership and set lofty but attainable goals for the team. “We hope to begin this season just as strongly as we left off in the fall, continuing our incredible winning streak and consistent performance,” Gordon said. “We have even more potential than we showed then, so I’m excited to see what we can do now.”

Becky Miller ’13 and Victoria Student ’13 make up the team’s junior class and look to continue to make an impact as they did with their consistent play during the fall. The sophomore class includes Georgiana Salant ’14 and Emily Wickstrom ’14. Salant and Wickstrom are both experienced players: Each Eph has already clinched an individual collegiate title. The team’s rookie class consists of Maggie Mitts ’15, Caroline Sawin ’15, Shelby Shote ’15 and Paige Whidbee ’15, who have already proven themselves indispensable members of the team.

DeSanty said that her goals for the players this spring are to “practice with a greater purpose and consistently improve in tournament play.”

During the team’s spring break training trip in Carmel, Calif., the women got off to a slow start with a loss to Div. III competitor CSU-Monterey Bay on March 26.  “The loss was a little bit of a wake-up call, and it has only motivated us more to perform at our best no matter the situation,” Student said.

The Ephs are currently ranked ninth nationally in Div. III women’s golf. The team hopes to give Methodist, the top-ranked Div. III school in the country and 13-time national champion a run for its money at the National Championship this spring.

The schedule for the spring consists of three tournaments: the Vassar Invitational, Amherst’s Jack Leaman Championship and the Williams Spring Invitational. The Ephs hope to end the season at Nationals in Angola, Ind., and are aiming to improve on last year’s eighth-place finish.

Concerning the team’s strategy, DeSanty said that “while we will continue to focus on winning every competition and bettering our chances to compete in the national tournament, our individual approach and mindset must be to earn medalist honors. This mindset will help us to lower our overall team scores and take full advantage of our talent and depth.”

The women will travel to Vassar to compete in the Vassar Invitational this Saturday and Sunday. Tee-off will be at 9 a.m.