Men’s tennis claims 8-1 win over Trinity

No. 3 men’s tennis has posted a strong start to the spring season, remaining undefeated even after battling tough competition during the team’s spring break trip to California. On Monday, the men faced NESCAC foe Trinity, overcoming the Bantams 8-1. Last weekend, the men traveled to Skidmore, where they secured a 7-2 victory. Over spring break, the men claimed five straight wins.

Williams won two of the three doubles matches against Trinity, putting the squad ahead 2-1.  The No. 2 doubles team of Felix Sun ’13 and Matthew Micheli ’14 won 8-3. In the third doubles spot, co-captains Will Petrie ’12 and Kevin Shallcross ’12 handily defeated their opponents 8-1.

Williams went on to sweep the singles. At No. 1, Trey Meyer ’13 topped his opponent by a score of 6-1, 6-3. Zach Weiss ’13 was successful in the fourth position, taking his match 6-2, 6-2. Bryan Chow ’13 won a hard-fought first set 7-5 at No. 5 before dropping his opponent 6-0 in the second for the win.

At Skidmore, the men surged to a 2-1 lead after the doubles matches. At No. 1, the team of Chow and Meyer was challenged by their Thoroughbred opponents, but was able to overcome them 8-5. In the second position, the team of Sun and Micheli easily claimed an 8-2 victory.

The Ephs dominated singles play as well, with the only loss coming in Meyer’s No. 1 match. Playing at No. 2, Sun defeated his opponent 6-2, 6-2. Micheli, at third, split sets with his opponent 7-5, 2-6 before taking the tiebreaker 10-8. At No. 5, Chow took the first set easily in 6-1 before winning a challenging second set 7-6 (5). The men ultimately dropped Skidmore 7-2.

Over spring break, the men were victorious over Cal Lutheran 5-4 on March 28, UC-Santa Cruz on March 27 by a score of 7-2 and over Claremont-Mudd-Scripps and Redlands 5-4 and 7-2 on March 23 and 24. The men began their trip with a 9-0 win over Babson on March 19.

“We got off to a great start in California, playing some great matches,” Petrie said. “It is tough to come back and start the outdoor season successfully, especially against our NESCAC opponents. We were able to accomplish that against Skidmore and Trinity, and we are hoping to keep this momentum going for the match against Middlebury.”

The men will host No. 7 Middlebury this Friday at 4 p.m, before facing Conn. College on Sunday at home at 1 p.m.