Men’s lacrosse falls 11-5 to Tufts

Men’s lacrosse (2-6, 1-5 in the NESCAC) fell to Tufts at home on Saturday after getting off to a slow start. The 11-5 loss comes on the heels of a 9-6 loss at Bowdoin on April 1. Over break, the men went 2-3 against a mix of conference and non-conference opponents.

Down 3-0 after the first quarter against Tufts, the men struggled to mount a comeback until the second quarter when junior Evan Dedominicis ’13 scored off a crease roll at the 12:35-minute mark. However, this failed to spark sufficient momentum on the Ephs’ part: The men lost the ensuing faceoff and were forced to immediately move back to play defense on the Jumbos.

Although Williams played strong defense for an extended period, the men couldn’t keep Tufts’ fierce offense at bay throughout the second quarter. After they scored at the 7:35 mark, the Jumbos went on a scoring streak, netting two more goals before the men were able to respond, making the score 6-1. With 4:39 remaining in the half, Colin Foster ’14 was able to put Williams back in the game, bringing the score within four goals at 6-2. Soon after, Dedominicis put another score on the board for Williams, notching his second of the game for a 6-3 tally. However, Tufts responded yet again, scoring the last goal of the half for a 7-3 score heading into the break.

The Jumbos kept the pressure up heading into the second half, scoring two goals relatively early in the third quarter. With the score at 9-3, the Ephs were able to earn a two-man advantage after Foster drew two consecutive penalties. While Williams looked prepared to make a second-half comeback, Tufts was able to kill the penalty without suffering any damage from the men’s offense and also net two more goals before the end of the quarter.

The fourth quarter began with promising opportunities for the Ephs, but only two were converted into goals. Andy Grabowski ’15 scored with 8:55 to play off an assist from rookie Steven Kiesel ’15 to narrow the gap to seven at 11-4. Shortly after, Colton Growney ’13 assisted Dedominicis’ third and final goal of the game with only five minutes on the clock. Time expired with the score stuck at 11-5 in Tufts’ favor. Eph goaltender Sean Dougherty ’15 recorded 14 saves on the day.

While the score was disheartening, co-captain Tim Goggins ’12 thinks the men will be able to bounce back from the loss to Tufts. “We have a very hardworking, focused and motivated team, and I am confident that we will put the Tufts game behind us and get back on the winning track,” he said.

In the team’s second win of the season, the men trounced Bates 5-1 to pick up their first NESCAC win on March 31. On March 27, the men picked up their first win of the season in a non-conference match-up against Washington and Lee on March 27. Sam Hargrove ’12 and Dedominicis led the scoring for the day with two goals apiece. Grabowski, Growney and Kiesel also helped out the Eph offense, each notching a goal en route to a final score of 8-4.

The men will next travel to Union tonight at 7 p.m. before hosting conference foes Colby and Hamilton at 1 p.m. on Saturday and 6 p.m. on Tuesday, respectively.