Men’s golf takes second place at Sunshine Invitational over spring break

Men’s golf opened its spring season at the Sunshine Tournament in Port St. Lucie, Fla., on March 22-23. The men shot a 626 on the Wannamaker Course at the PGA golf club to take second place in their first spring event. Calvin won the tournament with a two-day total of 609. Ross Bowen ’14 took first in the event, notching his first collegiate tourney victory with a two-day total of 150 strokes.

The weather on March 22 presented challenging conditions in Port St. Lucie: The men had to contend with gusting winds and humid temperatures pushing into the upper 80s. However, the conditions proved no match for Bowen, who carded a 74 on the day to top the leaders’ board. His total was just two strokes over par. Cody Semmelrock ’14 also cracked the top five, finishing his first day with a score of 79. Jake Abrahams ’14 and Matt McCarron ’14 both shot an 82 in the round. The Ephs concluded the first day in second place with 317 strokes. Calvin held a six-stroke lead with a Day One total of 311.

On Day Two, the Ephs turned in another solid day of play. Dylan Dethier ’14 led the men on Sunday, carding a 75 in his round. Bowen shot a 76 on the day, which, combined with his Day One score of 74, was enough to propel him to the individual medal for the tournament.

“Although we were ultimately disappointed to not win the team title, we showed a lot of promise and will look to continue to practice hard an improve in the coming weeks,” said captain Chris Valle ’12.

The men will return to play this weekend in Suffern, N.Y., for the Manhattanville, NYU Spring Invitational.