Hollander and Schapiro hours extended

College Council (CC), in conjunction with the Committee on Undergraduate Life (CUL), announced on Monday that swipe card access hours for Hollander and Schapiro  Halls will be extended for students. 

Currently, students have swipe access from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 6:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Sundays. The change will extend access until 12:30 a.m. on each of these days.

This modification was implemented in response to repeated requests made by students for extended hours so the spaces could be used for studying.

“Hollander and Schapiro are ideal study spaces outside the libraries and away from the noise of Paresky,” CC co-president Peter Skipper ’13 said. Previously, CC had advocated for 24-hour swipe access for students, but some faculty and staff were uncomfortable with this proposal based on past experiences.

“When the buildings were first opened, students did not respect the spaces, which resulted in student access being restricted,” Skipper said. “We heard stories about how professors would sometimes come in to work in the morning and find students who had pulled all-nighters passed out on couches and how students were using all of the K-cups from the faculty coffee machines in the kitchens, which is a big ‘no-no’ –  you don’t mess with professors’ coffee.”

This time around, CC worked with the CUL to develop a more limited proposal with which the faculty and staff would also be comfortable.

“We discussed the issue [within] CUL and decided that the students would indeed benefit from being able to use Hollander [and] Schapiro as quiet study spaces for longer hours,” said Mihai Stoiciu, chair of the CUL and associate professor of mathematics.

The CUL then approached the administration and subsequently worked with Campus Safety and Security, the Schapiro/Hollander Users Committee and John Gerry, associate dean of the faculty, to develop the final proposal.

“It should work well provided that the complex is used as a quiet study space, like a library, and not as a venue for social gatherings, rehearsals, practices or other non-academic activities,” Gerry said in regards to the decision. “Though students have a number of options for late-night and weekend study, these buildings provide the only dedicated work space available for a large number of faculty members. We therefore hope to preserve the quiet office environment at all times.”