Ephs ranked 6th in Directors’ Cup standings

At the conclusion of the winter athletic season, the College remains in sixth place with 528 points in the rankings for the U.S. Sports Academy Directors’ Cup. Washington University in St. Louis holds the lead with 693.50 points. Fellow NESCAC schools Middlebury and Amherst sit in second and third place with 676 and 654.75 points, respectively.

In addition to NESCAC schools, the College competes annually with more than 300 Div. III schools. Last year, the College won its 13th consecutive Directors’ Cup title.

“It has been an honor to receive the Cup in the past because it is a recognition of our commitment to broad-based programming and the hard work and dedication of our student athletes and coaches,” said Lisa Melendy, athletic director.

The four largest contributors to the College’s point tally in the winter season were men’s and women’s swimming, which earned a collective 160.5 points; women’s track and field with 61.5 points; and skiing, which earned 54 points.

Wrestling also contributed substantially, adding 22 points to the College’s total.

Heading into the spring season, the College will look to men’s and women’s tennis, men’s baseball, women’s softball, women’s crew, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s lacrosse and men’s and women’s track and field to help claim the College’s 14th consecutive Directors’ Cup.

However, only the College’s top 18 teams – nine men’s teams and nine women’s teams – will eventually be considered, and only these teams’ points will be tallied.

“Our tradition of valuing participation and broad-based programming remains unchanged through all of the ups and downs of the Directors’ Cup scoring. That and excellence in teaching and coaching are what we remained focused upon,” Melendy said. “It will be exciting to see where this all shakes out after the spring season concludes, [and] it will be a close finish as always I am sure.”

The final Directors’ Cup standings will be released on June 6.