Men’s tennis opens season with 5-2 win over rival Colgate

Men’s tennis opened its season last weekend on the road with a 5-2 win against Div. I rival Colgate. 

Bryan Chow ’13 and Trey Meyer ’13, a formidable doubles team, dropped their opponents 8-2 on Saturday. Chow also won his singles match in the fifth slot, while Meyer fell at No. 1. - Photo courtesy of Meyer family
Bryan Chow ’13 and Trey Meyer ’13, a formidable doubles team, dropped their opponents 8-2 on Saturday. Chow also won his singles match in the fifth slot, while Meyer fell at No. 1. - Photo courtesy of the Meyer family

The match was played with Div. I scoring, so there was only one point up for grabs in the doubles matches. Even so, Williams handily claimed all three doubles matches. At the No. 1 spot, Trey Meyer ’13 and Bryan Chow ’13 easily defeated their opponents in an 8-2 pro set. Matt Micheli ’14 and Felix Sun ’13 had the same result in the No. 2 position, while co-captains Will Petrie ’12 and Kevin Shallcross ’12 battled to take the third spot by a score of 8-5.

In the singles, the men won four of the six matches. In the No. 1 spot, Meyer fell to his Colgate opponent in a tough 7-6(4), 6-4 loss. Sun, in the second position, dropped his first set 3-6 before charging back to take the match in three sets with a tally of 3-6, 6-1, 6-0. In the No. 3 spot, Micheli fought through a 7-5 first set and then took the next in 6-4 to win the match. Zach Weiss ’13 fell at the No. 4 spot in three sets. Although he was able to take the second set 6-4, he could not overcome his opponent in the first and third sets, losing both 6-3. Chow, at No. 5, also went to three sets, handily taking the first in a score of 6-2 before falling 6-7(9) in the second. Chow was able to rally and take the third set 10-5 to win the match. Petrie found success at No. 6, only giving up one game in his two-set match. He won in 6-0, 6-1.

“I thought this was a great opening match for us,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said. “We worked through some of the cobwebs and were able to sweep doubles and get four singles wins against tough players.

“[The Colgate match] allowed us to see some things we need to focus on before the spring trip, like serve percentage, first volleys and shot depth,” he continued. “Other than that, we’ll keep getting fitter and try to improve our energy from start to finish in the upcoming matches.”

The men will travel to California for spring break this weekend, first facing Babson at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on Monday. The rest of the squad’s spring break schedule includes a match at Redlands on March 24 and face-offs against UC Santa Cruz on March 27 and Cal Lutheran on March 28 before the team returns to the East coast for a match against Skidmore April 7.