Men’s crew aims to claim NESCAC title

Last spring, men’s crew captured a NESCAC title en route to a gold-medal finish at the New England Championships. Capping off an impressive season, four men earned the all-conference first team award: Michael Abrams ’11, Jack Wadden ’11, Theo Patsalos-Fox ’12 and John Gorman ’13. After winning New Englands, the men came up short against  the University of Michigan at ECAC Championships, taking silver. Head Coach Peter Wells also earned Coach of the Year last spring. With these accolades under its belt, the team is looking to continue its dominance on the water this spring following a strong fall.

Although the team graduated 10 athletes in 2011, five of whom were in the 1V boat, a deep roster implies that there are many men ready to step up to fill the open spots in the varsity boats. This fall’s racing results show a glimpse of this crew’s potential. At one of the largest regattas in the world, the Head of the Charles, the men’s first varsity eight placed first out of 40 teams. This champion boat contained rowers from all four years and included co-captains Alex Treco ’12 and Noah Schoenholtz ’12.

Several rookies had the opportunity to contribute to the varsity crew this fall: Alex Nanda ’15 raced in the top varsity eight and Connor McLane ’15 sat stroke seat in the second varsity eight. It is already clear that the 15 novice rowers, all of whom are rookies, are a lively crew of hard workers eager to win. These first-years won’t be able to earn a place on the varsity squad until next year, however, due to the team’s tradition of only allowing rookies to race the novice category in the spring.

This season, the men are looking to claim the overall points trophy at New Englands, which Trinity has held for the past eight years.  The Ephs are also looking for success at ECACs. “Our goal this spring is for every boat we enter at New Englands and ECACs to win gold,” Schoenholtz said. “To achieve these goals, we need to keep our noses to the grindstone and train with even greater focus and intensity than we have the past few months, which have been extremely productive.”

Following months of grueling winter training, men’s crew is now eager to hit the water in Myrtle Beach, S.C. The team is heading south alongside the women for spring break and will compete in its first race on March 31 against St. Joseph’s and Marietta. Williams’ spring season will continue with the men going head-to-head with Hobart at Saratoga Springs, N.Y., on April 7.