Men’s tennis swings into 2012 season

Men’s tennis, currently ranked third nationally in Div. III, is looking forward to kick-starting the 2012 season this weekend.   

Brian Chow ’13 will battle for the No. 1 position in doubles as the Ephs begin their spring season. - Todd Brenner, Executive Editor

Heading into the weekend, Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 is confident in his team’s off-season preparation. “Everyone looks pretty good and healthy,” he said. “The team’s off-season workouts with [Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Rob] Livingstone have really made the guys stronger and healthier.”

This year’s team returns all of its players. The junior class is most heavily represented, with Bryan Chow ’13, Trey Meyer ‘13, Felix Sun ’13, Zach Weiss ’13, Dylan Page ’13, Thomas Daubert ’13, Charlie Hammond ’13, Will Speer ’13 and Eric Dietsche ’13 all on the Ephs’ roster. Jeremy Gold ’14, Adam Reich ’14 and Matt Micheli ’14 round out the sophomore class.

The roster also carries a handful of first-years who will enter their first spring season with the team. First-year Tyler Mallery ’15, a recruit from Hong Kong, proved himself a strong addition to the squad during the team’s off-season. “Tyler [Mallery] has come a long way in just a few months [and] has added a lot to practice,” Greenberg said.

Leading the squad are senior co-captains Will Petrie ’12 and Kevin Shallcross ’12, who have stepped up to their roles as leaders while emphasizing every team member’s responsibility to lead by example.

“Our go-to mantra during the season – ‘leaders on every court’ – reminds us that every member of our team will be particularly influential this season,” Petrie said.

The Ephs hope to use their chemistry from the past three seasons together to start off the 2012 season with a few early wins to build confidence. “In past years, we haven’t played an official match until spring break, so this year we’re getting an early start,” Petrie said. “We’re looking forward to setting the tone for the year right away and hopefully use that momentum to head into our spring break trip with a solid win under our belt.”

Greenberg is also optimistic that a strong early season start will help the Ephs improve weekly, with long-term goals of winning a Little Three Championship and a Div. III National Championship in mind.

“With the guys finishing fourth last year [in the Div. III National Championship], winning Nationals is on their mind,” Greenberg said. “And with the team returning all of its players, it’s kind of like a second shot. But with how deep Div. III tennis has gotten, we don’t want to speculate too far ahead.”

The men are set to face off against Div. I foe Colgate this Saturday at 12 p.m. The men then travel to California over spring break to take on Div. III competition, starting with Babson on March 19. The Ephs will go on to play  a number of California schools, including Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, Redlands, UC Santa Cruz and Cal Lutheran, over spring break.