Men’s lacrosse seeks redemption in 2012

Coming off of a 2-11 (1-8 in the NESCAC) season in 2011, men’s lacrosse is prepared to prove itself this spring, seeking to capitalize on all of the hard work the men have put into a long preseason. With their first game on Saturday, the Ephs are eager to get a crack at some of this year’s  toughest NESCAC competition.

“This year’s team is very excited about the 2012 season,” co-captain Tim Goggins ’12 said. “We have a fantastic group of very committed players who are eager to attack every practice and game for the improvement of the team. Our goal is to win a NESCAC title, and we are looking forward to taking on Little Three rival Wesleyan this Saturday.”

This year’s NESCAC competition will be tight, with five teams ranked in the top 20 in Div. III. The returning men hope to make this season the first in their careers that they defeat Tufts or Middlebury, who have both held the men winless for over four years.

Led by co-captains Greg White ’12, Dave Doggett ’12, Will Stewart ’13 and Goggins, the Ephs hope to make up for the loss of nine seniors – Henry Mills ’11, Aaron Flack ’11, Corey Jacobs ’11, Mike Ryan ’11, Tommy Murray ’11, Alex Mendeis ’11, Matt Cranshaw ’11, Adam Hines ’11 and David Fitzpatrick ’11 – a group that contributed to the men’s most recent NESCAC championship in 2008. On the attacking end, the Ephs are looking to sophomore Colin Foster ’14 to anchor the team’s offense. With a good game sense and impressive speed, Foster fits well into the Williams offensive attack. The Ephs are also hoping for a breakout season from midfielder Mericos Rhodes ’14. He showed promise last season with his work between the lines, especially in the attacking end. White and Doggett will lead the men on the defensive side. The men will also look to Russell Train ’14 and rookie John Maimone-Medwick ’15, both coming off injuries, to round out the defensive unit. The team has brought on a strong class of 11 rookies this year, which will certainly add to the Ephs’ depth.

While Pat Johnson ’15 and Paul Taylor ’14 will be sitting out the start of the season due to injury, the majority of the team is healthy and ready to begin the season. With a 11-man rookie class, the Ephs are poised for significant improvement on last season’s results. As a largely experienced group of players, the men have their eyes on a NESCAC championship this year. Coming off a disappointing 2011 season, the team is highly motivated to play to their potential each day at practice, competing at the highest level in every drill and focusing on the details with aspirations of achieving their lofty goals.

The men will face off against Wesleyan on Saturday at 1 p.m.